Why are the Scores SO Linear Every Year?

Each judge ranks them and assigns a score. It has always been my assumption that each judge is also given the typical “range” of scores usually given at that point in the season. So they rank the groups and then assign a number based off that range.

I have absolutely no real knowledge of the process though. That’s just what appears to be happening.

• Like 2

Just now, Quad Aces said:

Not a problem - as long as you stop using the word “maths”.  Hate that 😀.

Well the word "Mathematics" does have a S at the end of it...

8 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

E=mc^2 is also taken.

And Crown is taking all the other formulas as well this year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Quad Aces said:

Why is it that every year the top corps start the season in the mid to upper 70s, then each show adds about 1.5 - 2 points, magically ending up in the upper 90s by season’s end?  Every.  Single.  Year.  Honest question.

It’s almost as if the judges pull up the scores before a show, and say, “Ok, what was <insert corps name here> at yesterday?  Alright, need to put them 1.5 - 2 points higher tonight somehow.  Here we go...”  And if a corps has x days off from competition during the season, when they return, their score will be (1.5 - 2) times x points higher.

I get it that every corps works on their show in between competitions, and that’s why their score increases.  But shouldn’t there be more volatility in between shows?

it seems to me that mathematically, if judges are not the same from show to show (which I know, sometimes they are) and they all started with a brand new blank sheet every night, it would be close to impossible for the scores to be as linear as they are every year throughout the season.

Or would it??

I suspect the judges are generally aware of the range the corps are expected to fall into, and that the range increases linearly over the summer with the knowledge that it can't exceed 100 in the end. 

That means the general amount of increase is largely an artificial one that merely attempts to simulate the real improvements all the corps are expected to make on average, but where a corps ends up will always be based on how they do compared to the corps they compete with.

So the ranges may be artificial, but the margins relative to the other corps in a same show are very real, and they are what really matters.  

P.S.  The increase is generally based on units of days (about .5 per day), not units of shows. Obviously there is an optimal balance, but they get better on days they practice and they get better on days they perform.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Obviously there is an optimal balance, but they get better on days they practice and they get better on days they perform.

And they may even get better on "free days".

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skevinp said:

where a corps ends up will always be based on how they do compared to the corps they compete with. 

So the ranges may be artificial, but the margins relative to the other corps in a same show are very real, and they are what really matters.

FTW. Come to a DCA show I'm at. Free craft beer of your choice. Well said.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, PamahoNow said:

And they may even get better on "free days".

Very true. Sometimes, just getting time away to relax can enable a group to have a fresh and stronger run. Sometimes, things just don't click. I think all of us have been through both ends of that at some point in a season.

2 hours ago, Quad Aces said:

Why is it that every year the top corps start the season in the mid to upper 70s, then each show adds about 1.5 - 2 points, magically ending up in the upper 90s by season’s end?  Every.  Single.  Year.  Honest question.

It’s almost as if the judges pull up the scores before a show, and say, “Ok, what was <insert corps name here> at yesterday?  Alright, need to put them 1.5 - 2 points higher tonight somehow.  Here we go...”  And if a corps has x days off from competition during the season, when they return, their score will be (1.5 - 2) times x points higher.

I get it that every corps works on their show in between competitions, and that’s why their score increases.  But shouldn’t there be more volatility in between shows?

it seems to me that mathematically, if judges are not the same from show to show (which I know, sometimes they are) and they all started with a brand new blank sheet every night, it would be close to impossible for the scores to be as linear as they are every year throughout the season.

Or would it??

There's no way to accurately and quantitatively  judge artistic activity.  So...we basically fake it.  And we all pretend the numbers are "real".   

Just enjoy the shows 🙂

• Like 5

2 hours ago, skevinp said:

On the money.

2014, I heard from several old-timer friends of mine... "How did the Blue Devils score a 99.65??? Nobody is that good." My answer was, compared to the corps they beat, they were that good. The point spread was what it was all about.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1