Judges wandering on field

The rule says no more than 2 yards from the sidelines and the percussion guy routinely was putting himself 10 yards out and in the block at tonight's San Bernadino show.

It was flat out dangerous. What gives?

If I can figure out how to upload a picture I will (although the image has him about 5 yards in). But a tape review will show it...

8 minutes ago, adman said:

The rule says no more than 2 yards from the sidelines and the percussion guy routinely was putting himself 10 yards out and in the block at tonight's San Bernadino show.

It was flat out dangerous. What gives?

If I can figure out how to upload a picture I will (although the image has him about 5 yards in). But a tape review will show it...

You may be unaware of this, but prior to this year there was no such rule restricting judges to the sidelines.  In fact, judging at the field level basically involved going all over the field.  "Wandering Judges" has been a reality in DCI for decades.

I imagine old habits die hard.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, geluf said:

You may be unaware of this, but prior to this year there was no such rule restricting judges to the sidelines.  In fact, judging at the field level basically involved going all over the field.  "Wandering Judges" has been a reality in DCI for decades.

and...what exactly is two yards off the sideline? it's not marked in any meaningful way

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, geluf said:

Well aware. The new rule was enacted this January to ensure safety.

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

and...what exactly is two yards off the sideline? it's not marked in any meaningful way

Indeed, I imagine it's more of a "guideline".

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Two yards isn't the numbers from the sidelines. (That's about 9 - 10 yards). When the guy was routinely out that far (and more), it's clear that he was well beyond any perception of 2 yards.

Worse, he was within moving forms the exact reason DCI enacted the rule change.

DCI really needs to train and critique these guys - pretty close to a couple of bad guard accidents.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, adman said:

Two yards isn't the numbers from the sidelines. (That's about 9 - 10 yards). When the guy was routinely out that far (and more), it's clear that he was well beyond any perception of 2 yards.

Worse, he was within moving forms the exact reason DCI enacted the rule change.

DCI really needs to train and critique these guys - pretty close to a couple of bad guard accidents.

In watching, I think it is a bit of a catch 22. So many groups have moved their pits onto the field, that there has to be an adjustment. PLUS, with the front sideline now open, the corps are moving brass and color guard into that area. Sometimes, the best positioning to stay out of the way, may be a bit further onto the field. 

New Rule. It will take a bit of time to settle in. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Dear Lord I think judges know what 2 yards is.  You’re always going on about how professional percussion judges are but they can’t figure out two yards?  :doh: drummers :doh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5