Judges wandering on field

13 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

and...what exactly is two yards off the sideline? it's not marked in any meaningful way

2 yards is 6 feet, or 72 inches. Roughly 3.2 steps with a standard 8 to 5 basic concept. Anyone judging this activity should be able to adhere to this.

That said. It’s a stupid rule.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cfirwin3 said:

Design is much more dangerous today.

Corps were experiencing close calls and stumblings in recent years.  Everyone on the field is well rehearsed in the ways of their tight movements (often with heavy equipment, additional instrumentation and props) EXCEPT for the adjudicators.  These days, a mistake in the drill/work can put someone in the orthodontist office with reconstructive surgical procedures... judges (some who were becoming increasingly cavalier with their maneuvering) are rehearsed in nothing related to the show.  So, to the edge of the proverbial table they go.

I'm a fan of the change.  It should be followed... especially now that the performers are no longer attuned to the presence of additional people on the field (they are under the assumption that they are the only ones that belong in the drill).

Design is more dangerous? False.

14 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

and...what exactly is two yards off the sideline? it's not marked in any meaningful way

it ia two log strides for an average man

1 minute ago, tesmusic said:

Well, that was part of the argument for making this change, and since the rule passed, apparently a number of people at DCI were convinced.

That said, I would be curious as to when you think design was most dangerous for judges on the field.

Or for anyone: which were the shows with the greatest potential to injure a judge who wasn't quick on his or her feet?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

Have you seen the props these days?

Design is way more dangerous now. Before you might risk getting knocked out or breaking your arm in a fall. Some of the props these days could take a hand (or worse) if you're in the wrong spot when they come together. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jeffmolnar said:

Have you seen the props these days?

Design is way more dangerous now. Before you might risk getting knocked out or breaking your arm in a fall. Some of the props these days could take a hand (or worse) if you're in the wrong spot when they come together. 

Lol. Ok. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

True. They do way more than I did just 20 years ago... and far more than 10 before that.

1 hour ago, brassboy said:

They really should call the new rule the Ausdemore Rule.

But no, I disagree it’s about ruining “pretty pictures.” As shows get more complex with the addition of movable props and more quick transitions to different staging (such as scattering to a new spot vs drill that gradually transitions from one form to the next) AND the inclusion of 154 members (vs the 128 of not too long ago), the field is a much more crowded and hazardous place for an extra wandering body to be. 

Or on the east coast, the Poole Rule. Watched him  judge Saturday night and he looked very uncomfortable restricted to the front sideline.

12 minutes ago, fsthnds said:

Or on the east coast, the Poole Rule. Watched him  judge Saturday night and he looked very uncomfortable restricted to the front sideline.

Do you remember Ausdemore during DCI prelims last year? I wanted to reach through the movie theater screen and yank him to the front sidelines myself.

• Like 1