Judges wandering on field

44 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

Design is more dangerous? False.

Really. All a judge has to do today is stand on the end zone side of the 30 and no corps member will ever come close. 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

19 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Really. All a judge has to do today is stand on the end zone side of the 30 and no corps member will ever come close. 😊

If they’re in trouble, send Boston an S.O.S.  They are familiar with the territory of which you mentioned.

4 hours ago, brassboy said:

They really should call the new rule the Ausdemore Rule.

But no, I disagree it’s about ruining “pretty pictures.” As shows get more complex with the addition of movable props and more quick transitions to different staging (such as scattering to a new spot vs drill that gradually transitions from one form to the next) AND the inclusion of 154 members (vs the 128 of not too long ago), the field is a much more crowded and hazardous place for an extra wandering body to be. 

Indeed. Worse, after he was a visible um....distraction a few years ago, he continued to be with no apparent counseling about it.

and worse, now with this rule, the supposed safe space for judges is even more littered. I know a few big names were very loud against this change when it was voted in

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brassboy said:

Do you remember Ausdemore during DCI prelims last year? I wanted to reach through the movie theater screen and yank him to the front sidelines myself.

San Antonio was worse. I yelled at him as I watched him on my tv

• Haha 1

With so few corps competing in each show, what need is there for judges?  Most casual fans can tell you the score and placement BEFORE the show even begins.   I know... only half serious on this one. But really, who wants to look at judges running around on the field anyway.

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, that was part of the argument for making this change, and since the rule passed, apparently a number of people at DCI were convinced.

That said, I would be curious as to when you think design was most dangerous for judges on the field.

Or for anyone: which were the shows with the greatest potential to injure a judge who wasn't quick on his or her feet?

I think a lot of this has to do with predictability and changing directions.

Forms are far less linear these days and there is a lot of collapsing motion.  Additionally, since the late 90's drumlines have been increasingly integral to the form and less frequently manifest as 'lines'.

A percussion judge standing in front of a snare line is in danger of getting wrapped by it or squeezed by horns in a matter of only a few counts.

Be aware that even a small nudge will put teeth out on a horn player (seen it).

• Like 1

I've often wondered, in the YouTube era, if it is not beholden on the judges to "know" a show before judging it.  Not only could this result in more accurate repertoire scores, but it would allow the judge to avoid congested drill areas.  I remember back when they used to have judges tapes on the DVD, one drum judge mentioned that he had not yet viewed a show before finals, but he "had some notes". That struck me as stupid.

2 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

True. They do way more than I did just 20 years ago... and far more than 10 before that.

Undeniably true