Judges wandering on field

5 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

A couple of questions:

1. What is the "working relationship"  between DCI and their Judges ?

Are they "paid consultants" ,"seasonal employees" or something else.

2.if DCI determines that a Judge is not following this rule,what are the mechanisms 

to address the situation ?

I would hope  it would be similar to a lot businesses,namely:

A.Warning

B.Suspension

C.Termination 

they are 1099'd employees...contracted workers. And I do believe yes there are warnings and other steps to follow, just like with other issues

5 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

Recently, the school district that I live in had a traffic officer file a complaint with the district and the police department that a particular community event that they had been holding was unsafe due to inevitable traffic patterns.  He cited several 'close calls' with pedestrians and vehicle on vehicle.  This was just now reported, in spite of the fact that the event is 10 years old.  The timing of the event, the parking scenario and the traffic pattern was studied and it was determined that they were running a high risk of injury/death by hold this event at the time that it was being held.  The event (and all others like it) was cancelled until further notice.  The risk was sufficient and they didn't wait until an accident happened to act.  So the question is 'when did it get like this?'... and the answer is ' who cares?'.  The fact is that it IS unsafe.

In the drumcorps scene, you can't put a date on when design got universally complicated... and you don't need to.  However, you can justify that once a single corps exercised the design freedom to be unpredictable with increasing sets and subsets, meshing drill, and collapsing forms, then the cat was out of the bag.  I would say this happened in the mid 80s, became regular among competitive groups through the 90s and now even the nonfinalist corps are presenting such nonlinear, unpredictable design.  It has always been dangerous to be standing in forms with people moving and guard work outside of the feild of view.  But with the integration and unpredictability that design has at this moment in time (regardless of where we were 'yesterday'), the probability of injury is pretty high with non performers wandering in the forms.

If you sit in on rehearsals now you will see far less staff traffic (if any) inside the forms during ensemble rehearsals.  And these are the folks that know how the show works.  That's saying something.

and you'll also see huge props are one accident away from serious injury, but no one is scaling that back. And I'm not saying that as anti Prop. As a chief judge sometimes in a band circuit, I'm often left trying to gauge prop safety at shows

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

and you'll also see huge props are one accident away from serious injury, but no one is scaling that back. And I'm not saying that as anti Prop. As a chief judge sometimes in a band circuit, I'm often left trying to gauge prop safety at shows

What’s the timeline/risk of a potential whistleblower on the prop thing? I’ve never really thought about it until now.

7 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

What’s the timeline/risk of a potential whistleblower on the prop thing? I’ve never really thought about it until now.

Take a look in the prop safety thread.  Make your concerns  known there.

Edited by LabMaster

15 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Personally... I think this is a big issue waiting for a disaster.  I hate to admit that my own corps has (probably) pushed the envelope a little too hard at times.  In my opinion, we should try to keep the perspective that this is a field band activity.  Branching off of that with respect to risk, should involve a raise in the maximum age and recruiting members with training specifically for 'stunt' type prop usage.

Don't over analyze what I'm saying... I'm speaking to the progression yet to come, not the past.

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

if i were judging i'd abide by it, but i'd communicate to my caption head too, and I am sure feedback is being gathered from both corps and judges. It's not popular at all, and safety is a smokescreen. If they were truly concerned about safety, the stuff being wheeled out as props would be vastly different. Please, argue that, I can't wait.

not here to argue, and you can come up with "what ifs" all day long, but judges don't belong on the field 

IMHO end of point

42 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

Dunno. Does DCI have people out there with Measuring tape to prove they are the allowable heights with or without handrails? I know I have actually had to carry it now as a chief judge to inspect if need be.

Just now, EricS said:

not here to argue, and you can come up with "what ifs" all day long, but judges don't belong on the field 

IMHO end of point

you've come up with plenty of what if's to justify your POV, and it still doesn't prove your point or make you right.

• Like 1

Personally, all props should be banned and get away from theater!