Judges wandering on field

7 hours ago, jaylogan said:

Thank you Jeff Ream. Your response was rational and realistic. When the next kid breaks a leg trying to finish a show or loses a piece of equipment and chaos ensues or injuries pile up we’ll see what will happen...

honestly looking at some of the props, that's the next injury to happen. We see reports of it in rehearsal, so it's only a matter of time til it happens in a show

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

Just have to note this one...

It's DCI drumcorps.  EVERYONE on the field level intimately knows the measure of two yards.

I don't think the presence of markers is an issue here.  A judge claiming that they didn't know the distance in an activity that prides itself in accurate estimation of distance would lose their credibility in a hurry.

100% honest...in the heat of the moment, you 100% accurately nail it? If you say you can, awesome. I'm sure many would say that and fail.

If a judge on the sideline sees a piece of equipment fall off and create a hazard or a performer in distress on the field that causes a safety hazard the rule does in no way preclude them from dealing with the issue. They are human and the rule isn't going to stop them from doing the right thing. 

Edited by Spatzzz

52 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

100% honest...in the heat of the moment, you 100% accurately nail it? If you say you can, awesome. I'm sure many would say that and fail.

We are pushing into absurdity here.

But I gather that your perspective on the regulation is that it's absurd to start with.

The point being (obviously) is that it's fairly impossible for you, me, a DCI judge to mistake 5 yards for 2.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Algernon said:

Are there any less collisions this year due to the rule change?

Didn't think so.

This is about proving a negative (which can't be done).  It's like asking if a person that wasn't wearing a seat belt and had never been in a traffic accident is less injured now that they are wearing a seatbelt.  The question doesn't address the issue, which has to do with increasing potential and probability rather than a record of prior occurrence (with respect to injury).

It really does boggle my mind... why some are adamantly opposed to this regulation... as if an offense has been made and people have been wronged by the change.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

honestly looking at some of the props, that's the next injury to happen. We see reports of it in rehearsal, so it's only a matter of time til it happens in a show

They would be doing well to regulate performing height (how high performers can be from the field) down to only a few feet.

There goes some pretty great shows... but I agree, it's just a matter of time.

Edited by cfirwin3

3 hours ago, Algernon said:

Are there any less collisions this year due to the rule change?

Didn't think so.

about the same as this year though i have seen a judge dodging out of the way....in the safe zone

2 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

We are pushing into absurdity here.

But I gather that your perspective on the regulation is that it's absurd to start with.

The point being (obviously) is that it's fairly impossible for you, me, a DCI judge to mistake 5 yards for 2.

absurdity? yes because the rule is based on absurdity.  And no, it's not fairly impossible. I'd lay good odds, in the heat of the moment few could nail it without markings

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

They would be doing well to regulate performing height (how high performers can be from the field) down to only a few feet.

There goes some pretty great shows... but I agree, it's just a matter of time.

not just height...whats being asked to be done on them. Transporting them/moving them. Setting them up. 

• Like 1