Judges wandering on field

1 hour ago, cfirwin3 said:

Jeff, what color is the sky in your world? 😉

today it is a lovely shade of Carolina blue with a very bight and heated orange orb. very light cloud cover, slight breeze, current temperature 86 but feels 91 with humidity

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Nonsense.  Nobody has been 'wronged'.  Just the pride of interested fans.

The corps staffers themselves came up with the change... This is something that corps wanted.  They can't 'wrong' themselves.  Ironically to the accusation, the change is due to an expanse of creativity and it now gives designers point blank precision to showcase their sections.

So the real comparison question is not about collisions... it's about adjudication.  Has the adjudicative outcome changed from last year to this?  Good luck proving that discrepancy.

Again, I'm pretty surprised at the umbrage over this.  It affects nobody negatively... just the pride and perception of people not involved and the theories they are beholden to assert.

key edit...some corps staffers. percussion people for the most part were against it, and were forced into a compromise they really didn't want. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Have you ever noticed those 'do not cross' lines on the ground at amusement park rides?  Haven't you ever wanted to just... touch it with your shoe?  Or push your toes over to the other side when nobody is looking?  C'mon! You know you want to!  Everybody's doing it!

I only ask because this discussion that we are having is precisely, absolutely... nothing like that.

honestly....i am not an amusement park person, and if dragged to one, i rarely if ever go on rides, so no I didn't notice LOL

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cfirwin3 said:

Nonsense.  Nobody has been 'wronged'.  Just the pride of interested fans.

The corps staffers themselves came up with the change... This is something that corps wanted.  They can't 'wrong' themselves.  Ironically to the accusation, the change is due to an expanse of creativity and it now gives designers point blank precision to showcase their sections.

So the real comparison question is not about collisions... it's about adjudication.  Has the adjudicative outcome changed from last year to this?  Good luck proving that discrepancy.

Again, I'm pretty surprised at the umbrage over this.  It affects nobody negatively... just the pride and perception of people not involved and the theories they are beholden to assert.

I maintain that it does have a negative affect for the reasons I've stated above and furthermore, the only positive effect it has is to satisfy the whims of the pearl clutchers in the audience who for whatever reason think judges are causing collisions with regularity even though the evidence says otherwise 

Btw I'm a brass guy, there is no pride being hurt here. Maybe with Jeff, but not with me. 

Edited by Cappybara

5 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

If a judge on the sideline sees a piece of equipment fall off and create a hazard or a performer in distress on the field that causes a safety hazard the rule does in no way preclude them from dealing with the issue. They are human and the rule isn't going to stop them from doing the right thing. 

And I would agree with this 1000%. But let's also face the fact that are some who would then argue that a rule was broken by the judge entering the field, regardless of their intention. People like to argue just to see themselves type. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

It really does boggle my mind... why some are adamantly opposed to this regulation... as if an offense has been made and people have been wronged by the change.

So is the thought that people are against the rule itself or can we consider that some may feel that the rule is watered down by the fact that what used to be the front ensamble area (now the safe zone,) is now full of MM's moving into and out of forms making the area no longer safe? 

I'm all for the rule if it makes people safer...and I mean ALL people. Saying "#### judges safety this should only be about the kids" is counter intuitive. Kids and judges are the collision point...they're tied at the hip. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/1/2019 at 6:53 PM, stevedci said:

to what extent do you think rule was more about making performance evaluations less objective - reducing the ability assess percussion up close - than safety?

100%

And thank you.

On 7/1/2019 at 6:58 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, as far as the question of having judges on the field, it works out to the same thing.

So again I'd be curious to hear people's thoughts on what shows were most dangerous for judges to be on the field: meaning either dangerous for the judges or dangerous because the judges were there.

Yes, somebody opposed to drum judges on the field please answer this.

Just now, garfield said:

Yes, somebody opposed to drum judges on the field please answer this.

Already did.

And it's not that I'm opposed to drum judges being on the field, it's that I fully appreciate not having people that aren't rehearsed to the show being inside the forms.

On 7/2/2019 at 12:34 AM, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, you're describing a choice here, but you're pretending it's not a choice.

DCI could have decided that (1) differentiating very fine details between battery performance was more important than (2) designers having the ability to integrate percussion more tightly in their visuals without judges getting in the way.

DCI decided to sacrifice the fine details.

Maybe the right choice. Maybe not. But still a choice.

Dang!  You go, man.

Exactly.  And SteveDCI asked the right question.