Judges wandering on field

1 hour ago, karuna said:

Ridiculous.  Even Ream admits there is STILL risk; he just call it's "minimal".  As for actual collisions,  perhaps the number would be FAR different if like the FAA you started counting "near misses".   

Please explain why a judge should be permitted to put a performer as risk?  I've asked this question multiple times but no one ever seems to have a good answer.  Here's a hint:  BECAUSE THERE ISN'T ONE!  

Yes the hype tapes will be not be as MEGA-SUPER-HYPED.  But the judge can still rank and rate accurately.  

So sorry the days of "I hit a judge"  contests are gone. 

Change is hard.  

Personally I would have opted for "outside drill" but as we can see percussion judges  already have problems understanding two yards so that would probably not have worked.  

Correction: you say I called it minimal. Do not put words in my mouth. And for the record I never got off on trying to hit Judges, nor have I ever thought it was cool. 

Ill await your apology for misrepresenting my thoughts and views. 

34 minutes ago, garfield said:

The risk was always "minimal" and, in fact, zero, according to actual incidents.  But, yes, the future is as unknowable now as it's been since the beginning of field adjudication.

No judge should put any MM at risk and, apparently, according to all historic empirical evidence, they never have.

No, the judge can't "rank and rate accurately".  He can rank and rate reference between corps, but he can't get a good read on hands or individual musicality from two yards off the sidelines when the line is on the opposite hash.

Change is not really hard.  I've been through lots of change.

So, generally then and in your view, percussion judges aren't competent anyway so this is really about getting incompetence off the field, not percussion judges, right?

Many field judges being able to pick up equipment have PREVENTED injury, a fact conveniently ignored

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

I’ve said it several times. Reading comprehension fails you 

I didn't read your identification of the true beneficiary of the change until your recent post about the visual caption... But I'll need you to explain that for me.  How is this to benefit the visual caption?

4 minutes ago, karuna said:

More deflection.  Let’s talk about anything but the fact that percussion judges put members at risk. No judge should do that.  

Honestly it’s not as great as many claim and as said a few posts ago field judges have been able to prevent injuries by retrieving fallen equipment or uniform parts. 

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

Correction: you say I called it minimal. Do not put words in my mouth. And for the record I never got off on trying to hit Judges, nor have I ever thought it was cool. 

Ill await your apology for misrepresenting my thoughts and views. 

Hmm I said Ream called it minimal. And didn’t mention you at all in reference to hitting judges (although you did bring it up). Maybe take some time to read carefully.  I apologize in advance for asking for that. Attacking the poster is always a good strategy when the facts have abandoned you. 

3 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Visual caption driven?  What's the benefit?

“ no more drum guys ruining my pretty pictures”.  Said by a name designer last August 

• Thanks 1

Many field judges being able to pick up equipment have PREVENTED injury, a fact conveniently ignored

Why would that change?  People do what they must in the interest of safety.

Which happens to be the driving cause behind the change.

Just now, karuna said:

Hmm I said Ream called it minimal. And didn’t mention you at all in reference to hitting judges (although you did bring it up). Maybe take some time to read carefully.  I apologize in advance for asking for that. Attacking the poster is always a good strategy when the facts have abandoned you. 

I’ve given plenty of things. You don’t like them and want to assign words not said. 

2 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Why would that change?  People do what they must in the interest of safety.

Which happens to be the driving cause behind the change.

Well guess what: a stick flies away, or headgear.... who can get it now besides the tuba player backing into blindly not knowing its there. Not the kind of get it you want tho.

it would change because two yards off the sideline means two yards off the sideline which everyone should be able to do in their sleep right?

Edited by Jeff Ream

“ no more drum guys ruining my pretty pictures”.  Said by a name designer last August 

Who?  In what context?  You feel that this is THE true reason for the change?