Judges wandering on field

36 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

There are reasonable solutions.  We need to think them through before we react with illogical ideas.

Whether it’s grass or turf, an easy, temporary solution might be a water soluble spray paint for the DMZ line.

Edited by Ghost

34 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Could the chief judge at a show keep an eye on the percussion judges and let them know when they may be straying and creating a situation?  Or is isn’t there a chief judge anymore?  If not, is there anyone who could do this?  There are reasonable solutions.  We need to think them through before we react with illogical ideas.

Perhaps this is what you had in mind ?😎

131292_MAIN._AC_SL1500_V1499287233_.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

Oh.  My.  Gosh.   I have read some of the kookiest suggestions for this problem.   Wow.  Drumlines judged before their field performance, standing still???  Penalizing drill designers for creating unsafe field conditions or restricting judges expertise???   Like 2 minutes in the penalty box??

How about we let this new process work itself out?  As it is, it’s relative and fair to all.  Like anything new, it needs time and feedback.  We seem to be getting hyper concerned with safety.  Between props (another hot safety concern) and judges being mixed into a drill,  we get caught up with the few instances where there is a problem and extrapolate it to a much more frequent occurrence;  more than it likely is. 

We generalize things so that there seems to be an epidemic, then suggest overkill remedies.  We are to lower prop heights, follow OSHA guidelines for safety compliance, (which is a very reasonable solution - with modifications for the activity) all judging off the field and in a very specific area (oh no the judge went 3’ into the field.  What an idiot not knowing what 2’ is.  Yikes.).  Relax and be thoughtful in a feasible manner about a solve.

Could the chief judge at a show keep an eye on the percussion judges and let them know when they may be straying and creating a situation?  Or is isn’t there a chief judge anymore?  If not, is there anyone who could do this?  There are reasonable solutions.  We need to think them through before we react with illogical ideas.

LabMaster,

Well, I have to acknowledge that I got my tongue stuck too far up in my cheek with my remarks in the fourth paragraph. Sorry.

It would have been worse if I had followed through with my other facetious suggestion of having the judging community identify the worst "anti-safe and open designers" and publicly shaming them at finals by announcing their names at finals...."In 5th place as the worst....

Seriously, I am interested in any thoughts related to the 2 questions I raised. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

First off I can’t believe this thread is still going.  A much more practical approach would be limit judges to the front side/2 yds between the 35...35-20 yard lines out to the front hash...outside the 20s everything is fair game.

4 hours ago, garfield said:

Then the percussion arranger can write flam-taps and buzz rolls, with a little hi-hat action tapped out on the rim like it was an actual cymbal, to keep the battery busy and "part of the drill" until they can be brought down to the judge again!

This actually made me snort 1) because the absolutely brilliantly seeping sarcasm and 2) because I had this vision of 10 snares playing some kinda "shave ans a haircut" rhythm for 30 bars. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, karuna said:

Perhaps this is what you had in mind ?😎

131292_MAIN._AC_SL1500_V1499287233_.jpg

I actually wish I had some of those for some of the execs I have to train sometimes lol. I did actually take one of their cell phones....but I gave it back 10 minutes later.

3 hours ago, 1956OPR said:

Does anyone have an insight into if and/or what corps MMs were advised to do in the past if a judge got in their way on the field?

And does the current rule result in all sub-captions being judged from the sidelines/stands?

It seems like the activity has become a slave to design.

Why not allow e.g., percussion judges on the field to do their job up close and personal and adjust the visual caption to penalize designers who create design structures which 1)  create unsafe field conditions for our MMs and 2) effectively restrict field judges from applying their expertise.

THANK YOU

On 7/3/2019 at 10:07 PM, cfirwin3 said:

For a dropped snare drum?... not in your dreams.

i'll gladly bet you

On 7/3/2019 at 10:20 PM, Cappybara said:

I've watched quite a few percussion judges, not one of them has hit a corps member. Any interaction I've seen between a drum judge and the corps has been beneficial to the corps (picking up sticks, Crown's snare, etc). So yes, I'd say there's very minimal risk. 

How do you know judges can rank and rate percussion lines at this level properly sitting at the front sideline? Maybe right now when lines are relatively dirty sure it may be possible. How about when lines become extremely clean and the very miniscule differences between lines cannot be determined without an up close look? Percussion is unique from the hornline in that it is partially visual and partially auditory. You take away the visual, you take away a part of the adjudication process. 

many times performers will let a judge know to look out also. the days of "aiming for judges" died with elevator drill