Judges wandering on field

46 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Who cares about tradition. Tradition, in my opinion, is just an emotionally rooted word substitute for "history" and the main utility of history is to gain perspective and learn from prior mistakes. 

I understand tradition is a buzz word that people like to use for their arguments but it's a dumb thing to use. What should be considered is "why are we doing this thing in the first place?" Rather than "what can we do to protect the things we have always done?" Atleast, that is what a progressive society should ask, and for reasons stated before, this move to keep the drum judges off the field is very much regressive than progressive. It is change for the sake of change, to make people FEEL that they are doing something good. An empty gesture. 

The crux of this discussion is that we fundamentally disagree on the reasoning, motives, and effects of this rule change and that is fine. We can agree to disagree. But please do not speak for me or anyone else who argues against you. You are misconstruing the reasoning for why people oppose this change. 

#### he's made us agree twice in the same thread.

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

an honestly...if too many big shows weren't in a stadium with a roof...I don't think it would be that big of a deal. But sitting up by the upstairs judges in LOS, when the full corps is playing, you hear rimshots, brass and amplified sounds. That's it. And then amplified sounds fight with brass. bass drums? Unless the only thing playing, forget it. I am told it's worse in Atlanta and San Antonio.

Not knowing a lot about adjudication outside of percussion, it's hard for me to really think of how it could be done. In percussion (especially in front of the battery,) you are listening for very, VERY specific things from 3 or 4 separate sections (snares, bass drums, tenors and possibly a cymbal line.) Ensemble is one thing, but the technical aspects of each and the demand placed on the players is extreme and so to must be the pressure on the judges. I simply don't know if say brass is in the same boat (and I'm not saying they aren't.) 

To non-drummers, I'm sure it all sounds like thunderous goo (1pt to HockeyDad,) but it's far more complex than I think a lot of people think. How would you possibly judge anything but attacks and possibly unison passages from 20 yards away? And yeah...in a dome, it's far worse. Even with CV when we played at the Georgia Dome, the environmental demand was different completely when trying to listen in to center. I imagine for judges it's demanding as well. 

7 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Not knowing a lot about adjudication outside of percussion, it's hard for me to really think of how it could be done. In percussion (especially in front of the battery,) you are listening for very, VERY specific things from 3 or 4 separate sections (snares, bass drums, tenors and possibly a cymbal line.) Ensemble is one thing, but the technical aspects of each and the demand placed on the players is extreme and so to must be the pressure on the judges. I simply don't know if say brass is in the same boat (and I'm not saying they aren't.) 

To non-drummers, I'm sure it all sounds like thunderous goo (1pt to HockeyDad,) but it's far more complex than I think a lot of people think. How would you possibly judge anything but attacks and possibly unison passages from 20 yards away? And yeah...in a dome, it's far worse. Even with CV when we played at the Georgia Dome, the environmental demand was different completely when trying to listen in to center. I imagine for judges it's demanding as well. 

seeing DCA and also several band circuits that have judges upstairs, but don't play in domes and generally smaller stadiums ( think Hershey was one of the larger ones), you can hear a lot. The nature of the sheet changed to more of an ensemble sheet, but you'd be surprised how much you can hear and see. I was very against it when my band circuit switched, but after a few runs, it wasn't as bad as you want, and you're truly in place to talk about ensemble issues you can't at field level and not allow it to become always the percussions fault like most music guys default to

16 minutes ago, Barneveld said:

Image result for hell frozen over

well he's not Stu ya know

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

seeing DCA and also several band circuits that have judges upstairs, but don't play in domes and generally smaller stadiums ( think Hershey was one of the larger ones), you can hear a lot. The nature of the sheet changed to more of an ensemble sheet, but you'd be surprised how much you can hear and see. I was very against it when my band circuit switched, but after a few runs, it wasn't as bad as you want, and you're truly in place to talk about ensemble issues you can't at field level and not allow it to become always the percussions fault like most music guys default to

Interesting. I know from a fan perspective, it's easy to hear something half way up and not center if it sounds like shoes in a dryer. Dirty lines are easy to pick out. But even with lines like 2010 PR, in Atlanta it was hard to pick out how good they were probably because they were so #### #### clean. I would love to hear everything from the box to get the perspective that you describe. 

Most peoples apparent understanding of drummers:

59969612.jpg

What drummers think of everyone else:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyErgyLDLTeA94OVgLv5Q

Thank you for your time.

P.S. - Blah blah blah judging percussion, blah blah blah it's 6 feet and drummers are dumb, blah blah blah rule book.

There, now it's on topic and a fair summation of the previous 24 pages. 

3 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Interesting. I know from a fan perspective, it's easy to hear something half way up and not center if it sounds like shoes in a dryer. Dirty lines are easy to pick out. But even with lines like 2010 PR, in Atlanta it was hard to pick out how good they were probably because they were so #### #### clean. I would love to hear everything from the box to get the perspective that you describe. 

again Atlanta is a dome, and the judges are higher up. In a smaller stadium like a majority of shows are held, it is possible to hear more than dirt. Two years ago at Allentown, in the middle of the lower level, I was geeking out of SCV's buzz rolls....that could be heard, plus you could see the hands. Now go to the upper deck, even the edge, in an NFL stadium with a roof and see if you can get that. You won't.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barneveld said:

in that case, this would be more appropriate.

Image result for end of the world

yeah so I heard. thats what happens when you admit you're trolling