Judges wandering on field

42 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

again Atlanta is a dome, and the judges are higher up. In a smaller stadium like a majority of shows are held, it is possible to hear more than dirt. Two years ago at Allentown, in the middle of the lower level, I was geeking out of SCV's buzz rolls....that could be heard, plus you could see the hands. Now go to the upper deck, even the edge, in an NFL stadium with a roof and see if you can get that. You won't.

So back to something I touched on earlier in the thread. How is brass adjudicated now? Having never heard a brass tape (go ahead non-drummer types and bring on the "You wouldn't understand it because there's no "dut! dut! dut! or random exclamations of "Woooooooooooo!!!!" in them,) I would be curious how granular it gets by comparison. At that point, I could have a better idea from a performers standpoint of whether or not the same level of adjudication could be done on battery and front ensemble strictly from the box.

On 7/3/2019 at 9:20 PM, Cappybara said:

I've watched quite a few percussion judges, not one of them has hit a corps member. Any interaction I've seen between a drum judge and the corps has been beneficial to the corps (picking up sticks, Crown's snare, etc). So yes, I'd say there's very minimal risk. 

How do you know judges can rank and rate percussion lines at this level properly sitting at the front sideline? Maybe right now when lines are relatively dirty sure it may be possible. How about when lines become extremely clean and the very miniscule differences between lines cannot be determined without an up close look? Percussion is unique from the hornline in that it is partially visual and partially auditory. You take away the visual, you take away a part of the adjudication process. 

The last "collision" I can recall off the top of my head was during SCV's finals run in 1999 -- 20 years ago.

If anything, I tend to see more members colliding with other members or props.

25 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

So back to something I touched on earlier in the thread. How is brass adjudicated now? Having never heard a brass tape (go ahead non-drummer types and bring on the "You wouldn't understand it because there's no "dut! dut! dut! or random exclamations of "Woooooooooooo!!!!" in them,) I would be curious how granular it gets by comparison. At that point, I could have a better idea from a performers standpoint of whether or not the same level of adjudication could be done on battery and front ensemble strictly from the box.

Brass on the field to my knowledge is an individual or small grouping scenario at field level. all upstairs/enesmble stuff is handled by the upstairs music caption, which is now doubled at major shows

6 hours ago, Cappybara said:

The crux of this discussion is that we fundamentally disagree on the reasoning, motives, and effects of this rule change and that is fine. We can agree to disagree. But please do not speak for me or anyone else who argues against you. You are misconstruing the reasoning for why people oppose this change. 

This

3 hours ago, dcsnare93 said:

The last "collision" I can recall off the top of my head was during SCV's finals run in 1999 -- 20 years ago.

If anything, I tend to see more members colliding with other members or props.

Jeff Prosperie got very close a few times, including at the end of 2006 Cavaliers where the block in the closer pinches down at the top and bottom, and in 2015 Bluecoats where he almost got run over by a ball.

OK, then.

Let's get dual camera equipped drones with high quality microphones, and feed those into VR headsets that percussion judges can wear. That way, they (the judges) don't even need to be at field level -- or even at the event venue at all! They can be in the next county over, keeping out of everybody's way. Then, all you need at the field is a designated safety official, whose sole responsibility is to retrieve loose sticks or tend to injured marchers/dancers/etc.

Just now, Precious Roy said:

OK, then.

Let's get dual camera equipped drones with high quality microphones, and feed those into VR headsets that percussion judges can wear. That way, they (the judges) don't even need to be at field level -- or even at the event venue at all! They can be in the next county over, keeping out of everybody's way. Then, all you need at the field is a designated safety official, whose sole responsibility is to retrieve loose sticks or tend to injured marchers/dancers/etc.

As long as the drones aren't ran by Flo.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, pudding said:

Jeff Prosperie got very close a few times, including at the end of 2006 Cavaliers where the block in the closer pinches down at the top and bottom, and in 2015 Bluecoats where he almost got run over by a ball.

Prosperie has been hurt more by flying axes than by any drumline ever.

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

#### he's made us agree twice in the same thread.

Bringing people together.  Changing the world.

• Haha 1