Judges wandering on field

11 hours ago, Amazed&Stunned said:

In watching, I think it is a bit of a catch 22. So many groups have moved their pits onto the field, that there has to be an adjustment. PLUS, with the front sideline now open, the corps are moving brass and color guard into that area. Sometimes, the best positioning to stay out of the way, may be a bit further onto the field. 

New Rule. It will take a bit of time to settle in. 

Haven't watched it but this statement is very valid IMHO. With front ensambles moved into the field, getting a read is going to be tough. AK is a pros pro. He must have heard or seen something that would draw him in. It will indeed take some time to get everything rule wise running perfect. 

P.S. I'm a drummer and I can even count to potato. Two yards is pretty easy, but I would very possibly miss it by a foot if I didn't have hashes. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, karuna said:

Sure would. Virtually everyone who has marched knows what an 8 to 5 feels like.  Not hard to keep yourself in the 2 yard zone. Besides halfway to the numbers is WAY more than 2yds. This is exactly why this rule change was passed.  “Oh we’re very professional and extremely aware of our surroundings  but if you don’t mark the 2yard boundary we have no idea where we are”.   Dear sweet Jesus save us from all drummers.   

when you're judging, you're not thinking of an 8 to 5 step size.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, brassboy said:

It was Allen Kristensen. He’s been at this for a long time, so it doesn’t surprise me if he’s played fast and loose with the new rule. 

and he's right in doing so. 

7 minutes ago, GeneralTsoChicken said:

There's not been a single injury caused by a percussion judge in the activity's history. 

More often than not percussion judges have contributed to performer safety by picking up sticks, guard equipment, mouthpieces, and drums that have fallen on the ground. The number of obstacles removed by these judges far outweigh a fake liability. 

This move is all about optics. DCI and the member body are trying to revamp the brand image of the activity to LOOK more safe for members because adults were choosing to STARVE AND RAPE students. 

This drum judge change has also interfered with ensemble timing because the battery is in front and also everything has gotten WAY more dense to the front of the field, making large show segments unreadable in certain venues. 

Don't let 5 clips of drum judges being near guard, wind, or percussion performers or passing through their performance space convince you this is an issue out of the TENS OF THOUSANDS of performances.

Further, just as I said there have been no injuries due to from judges there have been COUNTLESS injuries due to instructional staff on the field. If DCI was LEGITIMATELY pro safety, they would have tackled that, first. 

this is all about drill guys not wanting drum guys ruining their pretty pictures. While yes, a SLIGHT few judges have been idiots ( one i have mentioned more than once), the overwhelming majority get it. Alan not only saved the kid in Crown's drum, he also reacted in 10 when the Crown horn player broke his leg to try and protect him. 

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

this is all about drill guys not wanting drum guys ruining their pretty pictures. While yes, a SLIGHT few judges have been idiots ( one i have mentioned more than once), the overwhelming majority get it. Alan not only saved the kid in Crown's drum, he also reacted in 10 when the Crown horn player broke his leg to try and protect him. 

They really should call the new rule the Ausdemore Rule.

But no, I disagree it’s about ruining “pretty pictures.” As shows get more complex with the addition of movable props and more quick transitions to different staging (such as scattering to a new spot vs drill that gradually transitions from one form to the next) AND the inclusion of 154 members (vs the 128 of not too long ago), the field is a much more crowded and hazardous place for an extra wandering body to be. 

Edited by brassboy

12 hours ago, geluf said:

You may be unaware of this, but prior to this year there was no such rule restricting judges to the sidelines.  In fact, judging at the field level basically involved going all over the field.  "Wandering Judges" has been a reality in DCI for decades.

I imagine old habits die hard.

Design is much more dangerous today.

Corps were experiencing close calls and stumblings in recent years.  Everyone on the field is well rehearsed in the ways of their tight movements (often with heavy equipment, additional instrumentation and props) EXCEPT for the adjudicators.  These days, a mistake in the drill/work can put someone in the orthodontist office with reconstructive surgical procedures... judges (some who were becoming increasingly cavalier with their maneuvering) are rehearsed in nothing related to the show.  So, to the edge of the proverbial table they go.

I'm a fan of the change.  It should be followed... especially now that the performers are no longer attuned to the presence of additional people on the field (they are under the assumption that they are the only ones that belong in the drill).

• Like 3

My son who marched years ago ran into at least one judge who didn't get out of the way. That wasn't such a big deal but there were instances of equipment being damaged as a result of collisions. Bad enough when those collisions are members running into members tougher when a judge is responsible.