Judges wandering on field

25 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

San Antonio was worse. I yelled at him as I watched him on my tv

SAT he was ridiculous. I couldn't believe they had him during finals week after that. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

SAT he was ridiculous. I couldn't believe they had him during finals week after that. 

I was amazed he was used again without a very strong talking to after 2/3 years ago

• Like 2

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, that was part of the argument for making this change, and since the rule passed, apparently a number of people at DCI were convinced.

That said, I would be curious as to when you think design was most dangerous for judges on the field.

Or for anyone: which were the shows with the greatest potential to injure a judge who wasn't quick on his or her feet?

who cares about the judges.  it's the kids they need to be concerned about

3 hours ago, fsthnds said:

Or on the east coast, the Poole Rule. Watched him  judge Saturday night and he looked very uncomfortable restricted to the front sideline.

then he should quit

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, EricS said:

then he should quit

they'd be out of drum judges

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

they'd be out of drum judges

i'm sure they could drum up somebody.  punn intended

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, EricS said:

who cares about the judges.  it's the kids they need to be concerned about

Well, as far as the question of having judges on the field, it works out to the same thing.

So again I'd be curious to hear people's thoughts on what shows were most dangerous for judges to be on the field: meaning either dangerous for the judges or dangerous because the judges were there.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stevedci said:

to what extent do you think rule was more about making performance evaluations less objective - reducing the ability assess percussion up close - than safety?

To no extent.  This was about incidents not theory.  Even this thread is pointing to specific moments of conflict with judges being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

On the contrary, it will be up to designers to stage the drum features so that they can get the credit they want.

It's not possible to bargain with the judging panel at recaps to earn a better score for things that they couldn't see.  This decision puts more pressure on the corps staff and really relieves the pressure from the judges.  They said that it's about safety and it absolutely is.

• Like 1