Mesa, AZ - Monday, July 1, 2019

7 minutes ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

Re: Troopers not in uniform tonight.  Saw this response to that question just now on Reddit from one of their members: " We had a bus break down last night with some key components of our uniforms."

Honestly, I wouldn't have been surprised if all the corps had been mandated to do non-uniform shows. Maybe there's more tolerance for risk with these newer uniforms than previously (that's not snark - I'm guessing(?) the newer ones are lighter?)

It wasn't as hot as some of the shows on swamp tour. 

I thought Academy was flat tonight. It just feels like they are holding their horn line back and it's getting lost behind the percussion and electronics much too often in the show. 

Best part of the evening was the Cavaliers encore. First playing Rainbow for the Warren family in attendance. And then the guys are free to let it out and entertain. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cfmninjaa said:

Is there a reason that in most shows, the Cavies go after SCV? Just curious.

posted from the DrumScorps app

Because they generate more applause 

In all seriousness I don't know 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Because they generate more applause.  In all seriousness I don't know 

A thank you for coming out West?  Probably because they were doing the encore and they’re already on the field.

Edited by Ghost

The Location

Positive: Sell out crowd with standing room only tickets being sold and people sitting in the back stands

Opportunity: Five person judging panel, field had some giant brown spots, and (I don't believe they can control this, but...) it was quite warm which caused stamina issues for pretty much every group

giphy.gif

Arsenal (Including gifs that I was thinking of during each show - they did an intentionally creepy circus show)

Positive: Lots of growth from last year - appear to be bigger and a more mature sound and visual book

Opportunity: I am pretty sure the show is incomplete, that or they need to rethink how they finish the show

giphy.gif

Phenom (They played Black Hole Sun)

Positive: Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden

Opportunity: Probably not the organization's goal, but they could drop the woodwinds and be very competitive in Open Class

giphy.gif

Troopers

Positive: Fun show that they sold really well without their normal uniforms

Opportunity: Inconsistent performance, some really great parts followed by ones that need some work

giphy.gif

Vanguard (Me during the sousaphone solo)

Positive: Percussion is super tasty, all the brass soloists are amazing

Opportunity: The placeholder ending is a total letdown after the first ten minutes of the show

giphy.gif

Cavaliers (Cavaliers are the train and the bus is your fandom of other corps)

Positive: Already my favorite Cavalier show since 2010

Opportunity: Noticeably dirtier than Vanguard but huge potential if they get it cleaned up

giphy.gif

Academy

Positive: Easily the most mature program The Academy has put on the field

Opportunity: Selling the show theme, rarely get the bridge theme beyond the half dozen London Bridge quotes

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Cfmninjaa said:

Is there a reason that in most shows, the Cavies go after SCV? Just curious.

posted from the DrumScorps app

In the past whenever a top tier corps from the Midwest/East visit, organizers in the west tend put them towards the end of the show. Either as courtesy or build up to the line up. I’ve seen with Phantom, BAC, Cadets, etc.