Boston Crusaders Guard (with brass and percussion accompaniment)

I just watched Boston from a couple of nights ago.  I cannot see anyone (including BD) touching their guard this year - it is spectacular and is staged to feature them predominantly throughout the show.

In fact they are so well featured that the brass and percussion seem to be there to provide the musical backdrop to showcase the guard, and I wonder if this will impact them later in the season?  It's clear they know their guard is the top part of the corps and consequently feature them throughout.

Not a criticism but an observation.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, DCI-86 said:

I just watched Boston from a couple of nights ago.  I cannot see anyone (including BD) touching their guard this year - it is spectacular and is staged to feature them predominantly throughout the show.

In fact they are so well featured that the brass and percussion seem to be there to provide the musical backdrop to showcase the guard, and I wonder if this will impact them later in the season?  It's clear they know their guard is the top part of the corps and consequently feature them throughout.

As a brass player I find your comment "brass and percussion accompaniment" a bit insulting to rhe fine job the staff and members of those sections are doing...and yes I agree the guard is stellar...but come on now...this is a bit over the top...oh...and in an activity that is visual dominant these days...it will only help them IMO

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It’s their strongest caption 

be foolish not to focus the program on it 

I also think it’s less the case than prior year as the other captions improve 

brass and drums each have several features 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, DCI-86 said:

They do feature a lot of guard. We are definitely in an era of WGI influence on DCI, so this sort of thing does not surprise me. I've seen the show on video and very much enjoy it. It does remind me of the sort of programming we have seen from BD and Carolina over the years. There are moments in the show I want more brass motion in a traditional marching sense. I actually think percussion is staged well. Fantastic music! I'm sure the designers already have ideas on where this show will go.

• Like 4

I certainly don't think the OP meant it as an insult.  It is compliment that only works because we understand the excellence of what it is being compared to.  

I think the OP's point was that, while it may make for a creative and enjoyable show, does it impose constraints on brass and percussion that could limit their ability to do things that achieve the best possible scores in those heavily scored aspects.

It sounds a little like what people used to say about Crown's percussion, that it well supported the other elements of the show but, in doing so, did not have the opportunity to demonstrate things they need to score better.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, but this dog's not gonna hunt.   All of BAC'S sections have exploded over the past couple years and nobody is in anyone elses shadow.  And, while I don't pretend to speak for the Boston visual design team, I can tell you that I have been writing drill for high school bands for 40 years, and I feature the guards more than ever.  This is a GE rich activity to begin with (even at the high school level) and when you look at a regional panel and see FOUR GE judges, promiment guard staging (particularly of a strong guard) makes all the sense in the world.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, skevinp said:

I certainly don't think the OP meant it as an insult. 

Perhaps I read it wrong. My response was a bit of a knee jerk. 

• Haha 1