Brass

Tasslehoff

had the same opinion of rose brass being darker than yellow until I actually played it. Now I know better.

wow, i always thought that rose brass was darker than yellow brass. how come then i always hear that rose brass is darker than yellow?

A trombone with a dual bore refers to the way the handslide is constructed. For example you can order a ML bore straight tenor trombone (pea shoter) from Bach with a dual bore slide which means that the slide tube in the hand slide will have two bore sizes. The slide in which the mouthpiece will go on will be one size (around a .500) and the other side of the hand slide will usually be or a larger bore (around a .508-.512 bore). Tenor and Bass Trombones are usually the culprits of having a dual bore horn. Especially the ones that are played by professionals in major symphony orchestras.

Hope this clears it up.

Yamaha now makes a small dual bore tenor trombone, the 697 model. The bore opens from .483 to .490. This horn has only been available for about 8 months and after playing on one for a few weeks I decided to change my primary instrument (I was playing a small Bach #8). This is an incredible horn.

Mark

What basically is the percent breakdown of rose and yellow brass? Why? I've been messing around with FMEAs on I-DEAS with tubes and bends and want to see the bending and shearing properies of horn metal. The chemical books I have don't list these...and many of the brass companies protect the metal compositions.

is a dual bore a good thing?

It depends on personal preference. I like the Yamaha I mentioned above. I like playing small horns but with a dual bore the horn plays very open (less resistance). However, not all players will like this. Try some out for yourself and see which you like better.

Mark