Strings and FX

I noticed the use of violin and bass guitar in the pit yesterday, as well as FX like Echo and Delay being used on horn solos.

I don't recall seeing strings before this year, and the horn FX are far more prominent.  I know there were some new rules for amplification, is this part of it?

1 hour ago, adman said:

I noticed the use of violin and bass guitar in the pit yesterday, as well as FX like Echo and Delay being used on horn solos.

I don't recall seeing strings before this year, and the horn FX are far more prominent.  I know there were some new rules for amplification, is this part of it?

Go watch The Cadets 2016.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Incognito365 said:

Go watch The Cadets 2016.

EDIT: No, there are no rules toward it nor against. At least in what you hear and see. If it's there, it's fair game. 

To incognito: Correct. Although (regardless of what anyone says) watch ANY run of that season. The violin sounds scarily consistent, almost lip synced especially the opener, it almost sounds like a MIDI... Unless its said otherwise I'm almost positive she lipped it the whole season. At LEAST in a good portion of the show. For good reason too, it makes sense. How can you be in tune with an 60+ ensemble that's 100% different than a typical string environment? Distance, your own tuning, temperature, humidity, it's the muthaf'in Cadets, etc.  All kinds of factors that will make an outdoor musical/visual art complicated for experimentation.  From what I've heard in terms of the usage of string instruments, drum corps could easily go without. No one wants to hear a micd violin through 4 speakers over a hornline/drumline. Just saying. Ahem.

Edited by johnpendell
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, adman said:

Go watch Oregon Crusaders 2014. 

Electric strings have been allowed for a while, corps have been using electric guitars for some time as well

Did CC use electric guitar for Rach Star? 

3 hours ago, Prtzdle said:

A bit hazy on this -- I think the guitar sound was from a keyboard. The guitar and bass they used as props to destroy at the end of the show. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, adman said:

Also see Teal Sound -- one of the last shows before they folded they used an electric violin. And they've used electric guitars and basses for quite a while. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

2009 Spirit had a stand up bass I believe. 

I tried to purchase that bass after the season was over, but the bass player had first dibs.  Sigh!

4 hours ago, Prtzdle said:

56 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

A bit hazy on this -- I think the guitar sound was from a keyboard. The guitar and bass they used as props to destroy at the end of the show. 

I'm pretty sure the electric guitar was just a sound effect they added in. The keyboard guy was set to piano the entire show, at least I'm like 99% positive he was anyway.

• Like 1