East Rutherford, NJ - Tuesday, July 2, 2019

54 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Heck no. Variety is the spice of life 

Absolutely variety is the spice of life bluecoats and BAC are nothing like each other but they have one thing in common highly entertaining   😊

Just now, Cadevilina Crown said:

I meant to say that the spread between Bloo and Boston increased from the last time they went head-to-head (1.55 in Lawrence, MA vs. 1.85 tonight in NJ).

Right, but given that Bloo had an extra show between, assuming that Boston hasn't changed much, then the increase spread but the small improvement for Bloo's score makes sense.  If they had met last night and those numbers came up, then it would be odd.

Likewise, if it was a weather thing (which, honestly I've never seen the weather actually have an effect on score spreads or placement), then the outcome should have been a contraction of score spread (Bloo got dumped on but Boston had a dry run).

So the unusual nature of the small increase for Bloo but the larger spread between Boston is probably accounted for in that extra day of scoring that Bloo had.

Just now, Triple Forte said:

Absolutely variety is the spice of life bluecoats and BAC are nothing like each other but they have one thing in common highly entertaining   😊

Ehh I enjoy them but I know several folks bored by one or both 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Well would you look at that, Bloo won guard. Might as well crown them with the Zingali now, amirite

I am a staunch Bloo supporter, and no one takes the Zingali in early July. But is it such an absurd notion that they could in August? I guess time will tell.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

And the reports are that Cavaliers are equally audience entertaining.

Is a good year.

• Like 6

Just now, cfirwin3 said:

I think that Bloo and Boston are 1 show removed from their last match up.  Boston didn't play in Lynn (I think).  So the spread increase is not 1 night to the next.  Weather isn't a factor in this.

I think it is. Bloo has consistently jumped in points. There’s no way they could give Bluecoats another jump when they performed the show in two chunks. 

Just now, YoungMusician said:

I think it is. Bloo has consistently jumped in points. There’s no way they could give Bluecoats another jump when they performed the show in two chunks. 

I have marched shows that had some bizarre act of God things happen... Judges don't hold back point value for that stuff.  They are looking at what the performers are doing with the work that they have been given and the design of the program.  A guard that hits every mark in their work on a dry night and then drops half of their equipment in the wind and rain will get the same score for each performance, I promise you.  This point spread and change makes good sense.  Bloo drove in from Lynn last night and had a basic rehearsal today with no major adjustments... That minimal increase is to be expected.  Likewise they are 1 show removed from their last meeting with Boston (meaning that they have been scored 1 extra show, in Lynn).  Their increase happened last night, not this night.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Just now, YoungMusician said:

I have marched shows that had some bizarre act of God things happen... Judges don't hold back point value for that stuff.  They are looking at what the performers are doing with the work that they have been given and the design of the program.  A guard that hits every mark in their work on a dry night and then drops half of their equipment in the wind and rain will get the same score for each performance, I promise you.  This point spread and change makes good sense.  Bloo drove in from Lynn last night and had a basic rehearsal today with no major adjustments... That minimal increase is to be expected.  Likewise they are 1 show removed from their last meeting with Boston (meaning that they have been scored 1 extra show, in Lynn).  Their increase happened last night, not this night.

Yeah... scoring seems to be primarily based on reputation. It’s interesting that scores do t seem to drop very often. These are not robots out there marching around. It seems kind of rigged in a way. That kind of sucks.

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Confused 1

Excited to see how far Surf can live out their FantaSea in 2019
Granted these are staggering start dates and different judges but this is probably one of the better openings for the Camden County Corps in a while. With so many younger high school members the start later. Last year they opened on July 6 in SC with a 57.05 This year a 63.95 on July 2

This could be an exciting season not just for the top medalist but for how Friday plays out in Lucas Oil as well. 

Here is how some of the other Corps started their 2019 journey toward Indy:
Phantom Regiment 63.25 in Detroit 
Troopers 60.45 in Clovis
The Academy 64.6 in Clovis 
Colts 61.9 in Madison
Madison Scouts 63.0 in Madison 
Crossmen 64.05 in Madison 
Music City 58.8 in Evansville 
Pacific Crest 62.15 in Vista 
Genesis 57.4 in Vista

Looking forward to a wonderful season and will be in Lucas Oil Thursday-Saturday to see how it all wraps up!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Casual said:

Yeah... scoring seems to be primarily based on reputation. It’s interesting that scores do t seem to drop very often. These are not robots out there marching around. It seems kind of rigged in a way. That kind of sucks.

posted from the DrumScorps app

I don't know about reputation... because it incrementally increases for everyone all season.  There are major changes (addition of drill, usually) that can give bigger jumps... Bloo has made some significant drill changes especially to the opening hit that have earned some of this.

But...

As one person put it recently, it's inexplicable to think that a 12th place performance at finals could actually compare to a first place performance on opening night.

I am of the opinion that scores shouldn't change so drastically from the beginning to the end.  They should either start higher or end lower.  That being said, the biggest concern is placement and score margins between contending groups.

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 1