East Rutherford, NJ - Tuesday, July 2, 2019

1 hour ago, Eleran said:
  • Parking:  A+ (slightly confusing for newcomers because the State Fair is also occurring in part of the parking lot; did not charge for parking)
  • Tickets:  B (unsure why they don't allow for "print at home" tickets instead of having to go to "will call" window)
  • Seats:  A (padded seats, padded backs; somewhat tight squeeze)
  • Visual:  A+ (my section was lowest level and centered on 50 yard line, but visual lines seem fine in all sections that were open)
  • Acoustics:  A- (during the encore - the ONLY unplugged portion of the evening - you could hear a decent reverberation after release; though planes landing at Newark could be frequently seen flying over, they weren't very obtrusive audibly
  • Concessions:  C+  (standard stadium fare (water, seltzer, soda, beer, coffee, and various greasy food items) all at exorbitant prices, but with fairly short lines.  But frankly, that's still probably preferable to most people than the extremely long lines and uncertain quality you get from a parent booster group from the local high school running concessions - though you'd rather your dollars go to them than MetLife).
  • Bathrooms A:  (large enough for a pro football game, so plenty big enough for a DCI show, and generally clean, though I noted soap dispensers seemed empty)
  • Host Facilities:  A (it's an excellent facility for the host corps, which rolled in around 5:30 am and spent the day there.  They got floor time; use of the visitor locker rooms for showers and changing; a segregated parking and set-up area inside the gates, as opposed to outside in the main parking lot like everyone else, and a pro-level turf field to rehearse on all day; only real hiccup is that they ordered lunch through the stadium caterers (in part because they also had a few score of high schoolers there for a Music is Cool camp) and the lunch was not there when it was supposed to be, but it came within an hour).
  • Negatives:  the inherent sense of emptiness in an 82,500 seat venue, especially at an early season event within only 3 Finalist corps.

Cost to the Cadets?  No idea. They probably work a package deal with the USBands use of the stadium during Autumn.  They would certainly have a greater return at the gate later in the season when a better crowd is more likely to come - a TOC show would be ideal., but they already host Chester, PA during the late season swing.

I attended a show at MetLife in 2012. It featured eight corps, the top eight from 2011. It rained and flooded the field, so it was pretty much a concert performance. What I do recall is the high price of concessions. I ordered a hamburger and they removed a frozen patty from a box of frozen burgers, the same box you might find at Costco, so I had a guess on the markup. 

I agree that it is too large a venue for an early season show. I also think it was pretty costly for Cadets.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I attended a show at MetLife in 2012. It featured eight corps, the top eight from 2011. It rained and flooded the field, so it was pretty much a concert performance. What I do recall is the high price of concessions. I ordered a hamburger and they removed a frozen patty from a box of frozen burgers, the same box you might find at Costco, so I had a guess on the markup. 

I agree that it is too large a venue for an early season show. I also think it was pretty costly for Cadets.

I remember that night Tim. The Bluecoats marched their show without the pit and amps. It was strange to hear just the raw hornline and percussion. They sounded great!

• Like 2

On 7/3/2019 at 11:11 AM, cfirwin3 said:

For all the silly talk about uniforms vs. costumes... it's worth noting that Bloo's uniforms (because they aren't costumes and this is neither a play nor is it a Halloween party) are the only uniforms that are entirely NOT uniform.

And that is my point. I can't call them uniforms if they aren't uniform. Hence, the use of the word "costume" in my statement.

Edited by Old Corps Guy