Prop safety

FYI there were new rules adopted in the last off season around prop saftey. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, FTNK said:

Found this on reddit and thought we should discuss it here, about the safety and liability of ALL THOSE PROPS

Is the "outside scrutiny" looking at props and movement and guard equipment?  And how is "outside scrutiny" exploiting something.  I would think "outside' scrutiny"  AKA unnamed sources, might be exploring things perhaps?

• Thanks 1

Nah, they'll continue to push the envelopes.  From what I remember, Spider Man on Broadway was a huge sensation because of all the amazing technical/safety boundaries being pressed with flight and swinging, etc.  However, it bombed because the ticket prices were astronomical and the writing had huge issues... ie, they relied on props too much.  🙂  Still, creative folks are still going to try and find ways to push, even if it causes controversy.  

And if the money dries up because of the outside scrutiny... well, they pushed too far.  But it won't stop them or maybe even slow them down.  

The awareness and need for Member safety shouldn’t relay upon “outside scrutiny”. Anyway, yes DCI did enact safety rules. Was it enough?  I sure hope so. I also hope these rules are completely consistent with OSHA safety regulations regarding working at heights off the ground.  That would put the activity on firm legal  standing should, heaven forbid, something happen. 

I watched a Cavalier get tripped up on one of their tarps last year. He was a drummer and the tarp was not laying flat on the field when he tripped. No way he could see it past his drum either.

Scary stuff. Good luck doing a safety inspection when those things are set-up mid show.

I haven't read the DCI safety regulations but those props should be inspected prior to every use and signed off on- especially if they are to be stepped on/over or used for weight bearing. Decorative props wouldn't matter as much.

Edited by ThePlanets

Seems to me that the liabilities come down to adequate training on a 'stunt' and the drill/work (this includes the assurance that only performs are in the workspace -see the thread on judging restrictions), the dependence on volunteers for stunts (people with an irrational fear of heights shouldn't be put up high), and physical barriers being used to prevent falls from heights.

If they can cover those bases, the rest is just part of an acceptable risk (people can make mistakes, drop equipment, trip, etc.).  Members should be as situationally aware as possible.

Edited by cfirwin3

Accidents happen, even when there are regulations. That just doesn't apply to props. 

I'm sure the regulations make sure they are built properly and are safe to use. Take Cadet's props for instance. I'm sure they are safe and apply to all the regulations. However, a player was hurt by falling and being caught underneath one in a freak accident. Even without props, people get hurt. Someone could get hurt moving the conductor's scaffolding, but that doesn't mean it doesn't follow regulations or should be eliminated from the activity.

4 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Seems to me that the liabilities come down to adequate training on a 'stunt' and the drill/work (this includes the assurance that only performs are in the workspace -see the thread on judging restrictions), the dependence on volunteers for stunts (people with an irrational fear of heights shouldn't be put up high), and physical barriers being used to prevent falls from heights.

If they can cover those bases, the rest is just part of an acceptable risk (people can make mistakes, drop equipment, trip, etc.).  Members should be as situationally aware as possible.

True, however, if a member gets hurt you can’t blame the victim (well you could, but you’d have a hard time defending that). Rather, if there was a lawsuit or damages somehow involved they’d go after the corps. Or DCI.