Prop safety

19 hours ago, Ghost said:

For years, most props were made by corps volunteers.  As they have gotten more complex, outside sources may have been added.

I believe most of the large props we see are professionally engineered and fabricated.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

Yes and accidents happen. I'm sure it was absolutely terrible for that member and everyone watching. Some a accidents are difficult to prevent.

But a lot can be prevented by removing hazards. First a tarp is a change in surface and many falls happen because of changes in surface (i.e. going from carpet to tile- if someone doesn't know it's there they are still ambulating as if they are on carpet and the change can cause a fall). This is much more common in older adults but it can still happen with a young athletic type who is attention is diverted and is under pressure.

Second that tarp was wrinkled and uneven and easy to get your feet underneath it especially if you can't see it. The tarp not being flush with the ground is the real hazard.

Cavies members were slipping on the tarps, but not going down at Allentown.

The thing with tarps is they work great on a 100% smooth surface like a gym or arena floor. A football field is not a 100% smooth surface. Too much movement on them and they can start to wrinkle up. Even at major indoor events where a floor/tarp is laid over the floor, another floor on top of it can wrinkle up a little bit.

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1

As has long been noted on these forums: DCI and/or the Corps are one or two major injuries (due to props or otherwise) from being sued out of existence. Designers sometimes do not think about what the Law and a good Lawyer can do to their corps, the activity, and their career. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

As has long been noted on these forums: DCI and/or the Corps are one or two major injuries (due to props or otherwise) from being sued out of existence. Designers sometimes do not think about what the Law and a good Lawyer can do to their corps, the activity, and their career. 

Are there any protections being written into MM contract's?  Contracts for under 18 MM's would require parent signing but what about 18 or older?  I assume (and I know I am saying assume) that corps are getting more aware of their exposures to a variety of concerns with MM's.  Are they doing this with this type of safety issue?

• Like 2

On 7/2/2019 at 11:10 AM, RetiredMusTeach said:

This is just a personal response to large props.  If a show uses tall props or props that look complex or unwieldy, I have a hard time just letting myself relax and enjoy the show.

Then this might upset you if a corps did a smaller version of this.  I haven’t given up hope of driving down to Vegas to see Ka again.  Loads of great stuff.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KBt1tVm-E1E

Edited by Ghost

41 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Are there any protections being written into MM contract's?  Contracts for under 18 MM's would require parent signing but what about 18 or older?  I assume (and I know I am saying assume) that corps are getting more aware of their exposures to a variety of concerns with MM's.  Are they doing this with this type of safety issue?

That's a good question. I do not know. Maybe someone else can shed light on that. It is a different world, and just as we have seen what the #metoo movement and member safety in that regard has done to a few corps, even that might pale to a truly significant injury or (gasp) wrongful death lawsuit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

Also, insurance?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Also, insurance?

That right there may be what gets this particular safety issue or concern brought to some specific oversight or compliance.  Insurance.  Underwriters can dictate what would be covered.  Once they do, the liabilities to each corps would be exposed.  Once that is known, there might be a scaling back on large prop use or some safety measure being integrated that would create such a visual distraction it won't be worth it to a show.  OR an org may be willing to pay a huge premium to use a large prop but I can't imagine a responsible org would be foolish enough to do that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

Also, insurance?

and how about insurance for the corps, staff, and mms if the "therapy dogs" now on tour turn out to be other than "therapeutic?"

[Beau is said to have been howling at the moon a la Blue Stars who are said to have this "wolf" in sight; Sabach's canines may be next.] How much $$$ would a bite cost a corps?

Edited by xandandl
  • Thanks 1

Jeff Ream, the Boston Crusaders thank you for your concern about their props and whether they are OSHA compliant. Here is what I can say...all five were designed by a mechanical engineer and constructed by a professional fabrication company. Each has a complete structure of handholds and footholds front and back which the members were trained to use while still in Vetmont, and each actually locks into its own docking structure in the truck. They are completely DCI Rules Congress compliant.  Also, the Corps Director is a member of the bar in Massachusetts as well as being a former prosecutor for the Commonwealth. He just might be familiar with the legal liabilities and responsibilities of the organization. And in any case, as you have so eloquently pointed out in multiple threads here, most of the drum corps members are wearing "Marvin the Martian" helmets so head injuries will be averted as well.

Edited by craiga
  • Haha 6