Prop safety

This is just a personal response to large props.  If a show uses tall props or props that look complex or unwieldy, I have a hard time just letting myself relax and enjoy the show.  I can't tell you anything much about SCV's 2017 show because I was too distracted worrying about the guys rolling around on those big circles.  Same with Bluecoats 2017 and 2018.  I have watched them AFTER the season and could relax and enjoy them - because I knew everyone came through safely. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FTNK said:

What were they? Were they enough?

they were deemed so unsafe judges were removed from the field

• Haha 1

I'm  an engineer.

I've provided expert testimony for a variety of cases including faulty playground equipment,unsafe conditions,like poorly lit walkways, and damaged curb,sidewalk and pavement.

Based on this,I was wondering:

1.Are there design standards for a large prop ?

For example ,do large props require plans, signed and sealed by a Professional Engineer or Architect.

2.Do ramps have to meet design standards for a maximum slope ?

3.Do props come with instructions from the manufacturer for things like assembly and inspections.

And,if they do,who "signs off" that they were assembled properly for each show ?

4.How often are props checked for damage ?

5.A corps selling a prop after the season scares the you know what out of me.

If an injury occurs,the opposition is going to go over it with a fine tooth comb,looking for any 

flaw,including damage or repairs.

Even if they are unrelated to the injury,that is a big problem.

When I look at some of these large props,all I see is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

32 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

I'm  an engineer.

I've provided expert testimony for a variety of cases including faulty playground equipment,unsafe conditions,like poorly lit walkways, and damaged curb,sidewalk and pavement.

Based on this,I was wondering:

1.Are there design standards for a large prop ?

For example ,do large props require plans, signed and sealed by a Professional Engineer or Architect.

2.Do ramps have to meet design standards for a maximum slope ?

3.Do props come with instructions from the manufacturer for things like assembly and inspections.

And,if they do,who "signs off" that they were assembled properly for each show ?

4.How often are props checked for damage ?

5.A corps selling a prop after the season scares the you know what out of me.

If an injury occurs,the opposition is going to go over it with a fine tooth comb,looking for any 

flaw,including damage or repairs.

Even if they are unrelated to the injury,that is a big problem.

When I look at some of these large props,all I see is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Every prop you see has been carefully designed and really well built at The Rube Goldberg Prop Shop for Corps & Band. Located at 777 Holdyerbreth Ave,  in Cantbefound, LA.  The motto is "We'll get the wheels rolling and everything else will follow".  No worries there!

3 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Every prop you see has been carefully designed and really well built at The Rube Goldberg Prop Shop for Corps & Band. Located at 777 Holdyerbreth Ave,  in Cantbefound, LA.  The motto is "We'll get the wheels rolling and everything else will follow".  No worries there!

I have relatives in Cantbefound, LA.

I've never met them, though.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

OSHA standards applying?

Not when it comes to standards for fall protection! WGI follows OSHA standards and any performer that is on a prop that is over 6 feet must have fall protection 

They are often built and managed by volunteers. Definitely seen as a member:

Guard member run over by a wheeled prop she was pushing, during a show

People falling face first onto turf from 5 feet

Multiple concussions

That was 15 years ago, now every corps has props as big or bigger than those

As with everything, there is no recourse for the members- you do what you’re told or quit/get cut

The guard member of Crown almost having her head crushed in Akron last year should have been a wake up call

There’s also the question of member experience... does moving and assembling props for so much time improve drum corps for members?

• Thanks 3

I've been in two Ironman races where well trained athletes have had heart attacks and died during the swim.  I've been hit by a car while training on the bike.  Two weeks ago a woman had something go wrong on the bike at Mont Tremblant (Quebec) swerve, get hit and killed by a race support vehicle.  There are changes being made to make certain aspects of the races safer but the courses are ultimately still open to traffic and the elements....point being there is always going to be inherent risk in physically demanding activities.  I seen no shortage of people signing up for these races year after year nevermind the amount of new races that are added every eyar.

Reasonable steps should be taken for safety, there is no question about this.  Members should be conditioned and properly trained for any movement, acrobatics, props, etc...again no question.  Not to beat/molest a dead horse (which this site is good at)...there is inherent risk, no different than high school or college athletics.  The activity is not going to move backwards so education, training, and conditioning are your answers.