Prop safety

25 minutes ago, fsthnds said:

Not when it comes to standards for fall protection! WGI follows OSHA standards and any performer that is on a prop that is over 6 feet must have fall protection 

Name a DCI prop over six feet that doesn’t have OSHA fall protection? 

Aka built in guard rail over six feet 

24 minutes ago, FTNK said:

They are often built and managed by volunteers. Definitely seen as a member:

Guard member run over by a wheeled prop she was pushing, during a show

People falling face first onto turf from 5 feet

Multiple concussions

That was 15 years ago, now every corps has props as big or bigger than those

As with everything, there is no recourse for the members- you do what you’re told or quit/get cut

The guard member of Crown almost having her head crushed in Akron last year should have been a wake up call

There’s also the question of member experience... does moving and assembling props for so much time improve drum corps for members?

I'm hearing about concussions and injuries more so than the past with guards.  I think the activity is pushing the limits now.  I'm glad the activity is addressing wellness which they have been promoting lately.  At the same time, I'm questioning the timing because I am hearing some rehearsal stories of injuries within the past couple of seasons.  I know drum corps has always had injuries, but why they are putting members to that point of risk is concerning.  It can be avoided and if it's all for extra points, the activity really needs to question itself.  

35 minutes ago, FTNK said:

They are often built and managed by volunteers. Definitely seen as a member:

Guard member run over by a wheeled prop she was pushing, during a show

People falling face first onto turf from 5 feet

Multiple concussions

That was 15 years ago, now every corps has props as big or bigger than those

As with everything, there is no recourse for the members- you do what you’re told or quit/get cut

The guard member of Crown almost having her head crushed in Akron last year should have been a wake up call

There’s also the question of member experience... does moving and assembling props for so much time improve drum corps for members?

I never heard about that incident with crown. Wowza.

The assembly\disassembly of some of these large props has always seemed concerning to me. Even if you got these props inspected by a professional engineer at the start of the season, every time they are disassembled, loaded, rolled down the highway, and assembled again is a chance for something to be done incorrectly, a part to be lost, stress to be introduced on the prop structure, etc. And then its assembled in a short period of time before a rehearsal day or show, leaving little (if any) time for a professional inspection, before -with some props- thousands of pounds of weight are put on the structure. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

So we’re good?  That’s good. I couldn’t tell if you were suggesting OSHA standards shouldn’t apply. Whether they do or don’t apply wasn’t my point. Whether they should be used as guidance was my point, and on that my answer is yes. If not, then it’s a lawsuit waiting to happen should someone get hurt. 

Edited by HockeyDad

10 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

So we’re good?  That’s good. I couldn’t tell if you were suggesting OSHA standards shouldn’t apply. Whether they do or don’t apply wasn’t my point. Whether they should be used as guidance was my point, and on that my answer is yes. If not, then it’s a lawsuit waiting to happen should someone get hurt. 

Those things Boston is climbing don't exactly look OSHA

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Those things Boston is climbing don't exactly look OSHA

I’m pretty near sighted. I’ll remove my glasses. 

Not to make light of the topic. It could go very wrong very fast. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

I think with less traditional high speed drill we are seeing fewer injuries?

Thanks for pointing that out. Everyone's so scared of props but nothing was wrong with the whiplash drill that could knock someone's teeth out if they had a slight misstep. For clarification I'm not saying to ignore prop safety.

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

CADETS !!!!!