Prop safety

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

There’s a OSHA guard rail 

Not on all 4 sides when the stairs or bridge is separated !

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

There’s a OSHA guard rail 

Where is the guard rail or safety harnesses for Boston's herald trumpets on top of the wall???

6 minutes ago, fsthnds said:

Not on all 4 sides when the stairs or bridge is separated !

It’s not required on all four sides under ten feet - correct? I’m asking 

as far as Boston I’m not sure about whether they clip on or not 

There was an extremely good post on the reddit drum corps group regarding BD prop safety from the corps prop manager

i can’t seem to find it now, anyone have a link? Quite enlightening 

26 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

It’s not required on all four sides under ten feet - correct? I’m asking 

as far as Boston I’m not sure about whether they clip on or not 

I know WGI requires it for anytime a performer is elevated on a platform 6 feet off the ground which I believe they took from OSHA standards. 

Guard rails must be on all sides that have 6 feet fall exposure unless a person has a safety harness with an attached landyard secured. At different times that could be 1,2 or even all 4 sides of the prop. Ladders require 3 points of contact at all times when you are over 6 feet. 

Edited by fsthnds

Blue Stars big prop looks like a liability nightmare.  I hope they leave it off the field in bad weather.

• Like 1

The rules DCI adopted were about having OSHA standards apply to props for rails and such things. I wonder though, if the corps are required to submit anything to anyone in order to police the props being built. It's one thing to require, it's another thing to enforce. 

I know Academy hired their prop design/build out to a company. First time volunteers have not built them and the first time they've taken two equipment trucks on the road to carry their props. No idea about any other corps.

I was watching a soloist for SCV leaning against one to the pillars on the second level of the round cage/props and wondered if there were actually 2 pillars there instead of one. Of course, I also work for a company where safety is a priority and our workers are trained about the hazards of the job, and how to use the correct safety equipment and protocols.

17 hours ago, fsthnds said:

I know WGI requires it for anytime a performer is elevated on a platform 6 feet off the ground which I believe they took from OSHA standards. 

Guard rails must be on all sides that have 6 feet fall exposure unless a person has a safety harness with an attached landyard secured. At different times that could be 1,2 or even all 4 sides of the prop. Ladders require 3 points of contact at all times when you are over 6 feet. 

I have spent over three decades in the insurance industry in many facets, including Loss/Risk control, Underwriting (even saw a couple of Top 5 Corps cross my desk years ago), etc., and run an insurance company now. I’ve insured what engineers have built, including roller coasters. OSHA guidelines can contain very hefty 5-figure fines if not adhered to, and there are volumes of regs regarding PPE usage.

Edited by TRacer
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

There was an extremely good post on the reddit drum corps group regarding BD prop safety from the corps prop manager

i can’t seem to find it now, anyone have a link? Quite enlightening 

go to the reddit r/drum corps and search prop safety.  I found it after reading your above comment.  interesting thread!

• Thanks 1