Prop safety

4 hours ago, Ghost said:

If not already, hopefully you get the chance to do the 70.3 in St. George.  

https://www.triathlete.com/2019/05/news/st-george-utah-to-host-2021-ironman-70-3-world-championships_375661

Only casual stuff this year with a new baby...St George is on the bucket list!!

I don't think it's just the danger from massive vertical props (some of SCV's "telephone pole" stunts definitely look risky), but the field tarps can be risky too.

On a dry, even, artificial turf field there were several tarp twists and near falls. One in particular with Troopers, the other with Pacific Crest.

I worry that unlike WGI these are partial coverage tarps with exposed edges, and at times placed over uneven surfaces (or on artificial turf seams, drainage holes, sunken water nozzels, etc.) The most basic of things -hood footing can be compromised - particularly im high BPM movement...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

I watched a Cavalier get tripped up on one of their tarps last year. He was a drummer and the tarp was not laying flat on the field when he tripped. No way he could see it past his drum either.

And we all saw a Crown member go down with a broken ankle in Finals in a show with no props in 2010.

9 hours ago, ranintothedoor said:

Nah, they'll continue to push the envelopes.  From what I remember, Spider Man on Broadway was a huge sensation because of all the amazing technical/safety boundaries being pressed with flight and swinging, etc.  However, it bombed because the ticket prices were astronomical and the writing had huge issues... ie, they relied on props too much.  🙂  Still, creative folks are still going to try and find ways to push, even if it causes controversy.  

And if the money dries up because of the outside scrutiny... well, they pushed too far.  But it won't stop them or maybe even slow them down.  

I wouldn't use Spider-Man as an example. A few of the actors suffered bad injuries because of the technical aspects of that show. One actor broke both of his wrists and another one almost died in a horrific fall and ending up suing the production.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRacer said:

I have spent over three decades in the insurance industry in many facets, including Loss/Risk control, Underwriting (even saw a couple of Top 5 Corps cross my desk years ago), etc., and run an insurance company now. I’ve insured what engineers have built, including roller coasters. OSHA guidelines can contain very hefty 5-figure fines if not adhered to, and there are volumes of regs regarding PPE usage.

When I judge Visual Performance at band competitions I’m looking for not only the usual visual things but through the lens of safety as well. I can recall one show where the director had young band members march backward over a wrinkled tarp at a night show, with predictable results (12 went down, and hard) and I absolutely ripped that director a new one in critique (“Where was the backward marching technique that MIGHT have prevented that disaster?? Answer: you never taught it! This isn’t WGI or DCI or WBA or BOA, these are kids with zero experience!! How can I trust you as a parent if I see my kid go down in a non-contact, non-violent sport??” Etc.) 

During the mello sustain in Babylon all I could think was, “Please don’t collapse”  as more and more members clambered aboard those scaffolds. I even freeze framed it and counted the total numbers of performers that ended up on the center scaffold, then multiplied that by an average weight of 150 lbs. per performer. It added up fast.

With regard to drill, I can tell on camera that Blue Stars have a lot of injuries because of how slow some are moving their feet. My own kid (BS trumpet this year) is out there with a thick ankle brace on his left side. They had significant(!) injuries occur at training camp, and one read of their show explains why. I won’t hijack this thread and go on a rant about trying to train horn players to become dancers, but by golly horn players haven’t had years of dance training or conditioning like guard people do. 

If this trend continues, I can see audition camps including some component where the prospective member undergoes a physical exam with full surgical history— just like an athlete would— and have that factor into the decision (“Welp, you’re a super star player and can play double G’s and above for 11 minutes. Your visual skills are adequate. But, your BMI is far above the line we can accept unless you lose at least 40 pounds— sorry.”)

They made us have a physical exam (during the course of one of the winter camps) back when I marched at Regiment.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

And we all saw a Crown member go down with a broken ankle in Finals in a show with no props in 2010.

Yes and accidents happen. I'm sure it was absolutely terrible for that member and everyone watching. Some a accidents are difficult to prevent.

But a lot can be prevented by removing hazards. First a tarp is a change in surface and many falls happen because of changes in surface (i.e. going from carpet to tile- if someone doesn't know it's there they are still ambulating as if they are on carpet and the change can cause a fall). This is much more common in older adults but it can still happen with a young athletic type who is attention is diverted and is under pressure.

Second that tarp was wrinkled and uneven and easy to get your feet underneath it especially if you can't see it. The tarp not being flush with the ground is the real hazard.

Edited by ThePlanets
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, tommynev said:

I wouldn't use Spider-Man as an example. A few of the actors suffered bad injuries because of the technical aspects of that show. One actor broke both of his wrists and another one almost died in a horrific fall and ending up suing the production.

Dude... I had no idea.  Wow, what an awful example.  

Welp... stick a fork in me.  lol

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

The potential is still there for those types of accidents. Now there’s additional potential for prop-related accidents.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jeffmolnar said:

The potential is still there for those types of accidents. Now there’s additional potential for prop-related accidents.

Sorry I was unclear. My point was that even without props, drum corps is already dangerous (like any physical activity), and props only add further complications.

Last night's show at Metlife highlighted another  issue with some props

like the ones the Bluecoats and Cadets are using.

Even a little rain,last night's show had some drizzle and showers makes the prop's

surfaces slippery.

I'm surprised they don't use some type on non-slip surface.

• Like 1