1 hour ago, Cfmninjaa said:

Crown won music that year.

They won brass. They did have the highest total music score at Semifinals.

Bluecoats had the highest total music score at Finals and Prelims(by .4)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Thinking 🤔 Crown and Boston will be battling for fourth. 

Thinking Crown and SCV will be battling for third.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

Curious...has a corps ever won a championship without winning a caption?

Star 91 did not win a caption outright. Tied for high GE, brass and drums, and BD and Cavies/SCV were announced as caption winners for brass/drums because GE scores in those areas were used as tiebreakers. 

Edited by mfrontz
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Does anyone know why they formed a big X and Y on the field?

Would it be easier to understand if they made "XX" and "XY"?  That's what they really "mean". Women and Men.

Of course, they many mean "XY'.  MEN.  (but i doubt it).

Great Review.  Thank you for your effort and knowledge.

Edited by PamahoNow
addition
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Alright folks.... review time. I am still in awe with what I witnessed. Wow. Ok, I will be reviewing in order of appearance, but The Cavaliers will be last 🙂 (surprise!!!!)

Phantom Regiment- the first thing I noticed is how young this corps appeared to be. That is actually a great thing! If their staff can manage to keep a big chunk of the current members then you have a great shot at growing. The show was ok, I think they might need to tweak a few things but I can see them remaining in finals. Less synth bass and give me actual contra please 🙂 oh.... and that guard... Incredible work!

The Cadets- I am still scratching my head about this one. First of all, you can feel the passion coming from those kids. I am just disappointed in the design.... I know they have a good chunk of former Cavies staff, but it felt, as a whole, like Cavies 2012 and I am actually not fond of that show. Does anyone know why they formed a big X and Y on the field? Overall, this staff needs to sit down together and ask themselves "what can we do better? How should we approach cleaning this show?" And I mean this out of peaceful concern. The Cadets have an incredible history and I just dont want them to throw that away..... keep your heads up and march on!

Blue Stars- Easily my favorite show from this corps. The uniforms or costumes looked.... well they were wearing them. I just the flow of this show and the members are eating it up. Very impressive hornline and a well thought out show theme. I am a forest, hiking mountain man, and this show reminded me of all my trips to Rocky Mountain National Park in Estes Park Colorado. Lots of great family memories there, so thank you for that! I was also impressed with their drumline!!! Wowza 

Carolina Crown- The hornline is still as solid as ever! Lots of energy being projected by them and I loved it. Still not sure what the show is about, but I liked it. I was extremely impressed with that opening statement as it grabbed my attention immediately. Not sure if they will crack top 3, but they should remain in the top 6.

Bluecoats- Ok ok... I am extremely impressed with how well the show was executed and how clean it was across the board. By just watching them march I was reminded about how important it is to focus on fundamentals and how crucial it is. The corps would NOT be in the position that they are in if they didn't focus in that area. But as a show..... it isn't my glass of beer. Unfortunately I am just not a Beatles fan. Dont get me wrong though, I like certain songs from them, but I just dont care for them. Interesting arrangements too... I imagine the corps paid out the rear for copyright too.... right? Either way, I noticed the kids around me ate it up and I feel like they designed it for that specific reason. That is NOT a bad thing! Keep up the good work coats!

SCV- That is one big tarp. Like, it is really big. They have another incredible hornline this year and how about that screamer? SUPER C!!!! I would like to view the show again while focusing more on the visual design. They were a little dirty, but if I were them, I would consider that as an opportunity to improve in as the season goes on. Not a fan of the sousaphone though.... needed some contra. As a whole it was my second favorite of the night and I was impressed with how clean and balanced it was. Melos might need some work with balancing and tuning in a couple of parts, but bah! Didn't ruin the experience for me!

Blue Devils- Easily my third favorite of the night. Awesome show concept and I actually hoped that they would have pulled ahead of the Bluecoats tonight. I absolutely love the use of their props as a visual effect and it was executed extremely well! There were some timing flaws and what actually helped this corps was that the wind dimmed down as the show went on. BD fans, be VERY proud! They have something special this year. And the sousaphone needed more contra

And lastly..... :)))))

The Cavaliers- As soon as I started this tears began to form. This show is just so freaking good. I am sure that I was annoying the folks around me with my facial expressions and my ooo and awes. Firstly.... LOW FREAKING BRASS!!!! LOW FREAKING BRASS!!! Shoot, I stood up in the middle of the opener and yelled "TUBA!!!!!!". And that baritone section, the trombones.... THAT DRILL DESIGN! What?!?!? I loved every moment and every aspect about this show. 16 contras.... keep it like that folks! How about that upper brass soloist section(s)?!? I really really really really really want them to clean the heck out of this show... to the point where those judge HAVE to move them up in placement. Guys, was this how it was like to watch them in the early 2000s? If so, I am glad I experienced that. Lord I love this show.

A side note for those that are still reading... thank you for all the kind words. I wish I could go back in time and experience that show live one more time. One of my favorites that is for sure... and it was awesome meeting fellow drum corps fans!!! I learned a lot from yall and it was a experience(s) worth remembering. Lol... by the way, I noticed a few folks turning around looking at me after my posts and when I was walking in the lot or booth area I also noticed a few double takes... LOL it is ok to say hello! HAHA! My friend, muffin_man, thought it was silly too. Come by and say hello! I am ALWAYS down to talking about drum corps, DCI, or music in general. Guys, I am a clarinetist that is in love with marching and brass... I promise, in terms of music and being a nerd, I am just as weird as you are. Either way, thank you for the memories everyone. I promise I won't forget it!

Now, let's head over to the SA thread

So adorably enthusiastic. 

Somewhere someone is talking with their friends, "Man that was a great show last night."  

"I know, but what was with that guy next to us?"

"The Cavies superfan?"

"Yeah, I mean he was just..."

"TUBA!"

And for the next week they'll interrupt one another at random times yelling "TUBA!" and then all laugh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

31 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Alright folks.... review time. I am still in awe with what I witnessed. Wow. Ok, I will be reviewing in order of appearance, but The Cavaliers will be last 🙂 (surprise!!!!)

Phantom Regiment- the first thing I noticed is how young this corps appeared to be. That is actually a great thing! If their staff can manage to keep a big chunk of the current members then you have a great shot at growing. The show was ok, I think they might need to tweak a few things but I can see them remaining in finals. Less synth bass and give me actual contra please 🙂 oh.... and that guard... Incredible work!

The Cadets- I am still scratching my head about this one. First of all, you can feel the passion coming from those kids. I am just disappointed in the design.... I know they have a good chunk of former Cavies staff, but it felt, as a whole, like Cavies 2012 and I am actually not fond of that show. Does anyone know why they formed a big X and Y on the field? Overall, this staff needs to sit down together and ask themselves "what can we do better? How should we approach cleaning this show?" And I mean this out of peaceful concern. The Cadets have an incredible history and I just dont want them to throw that away..... keep your heads up and march on!

Blue Stars- Easily my favorite show from this corps. The uniforms or costumes looked.... well they were wearing them. I just the flow of this show and the members are eating it up. Very impressive hornline and a well thought out show theme. I am a forest, hiking mountain man, and this show reminded me of all my trips to Rocky Mountain National Park in Estes Park Colorado. Lots of great family memories there, so thank you for that! I was also impressed with their drumline!!! Wowza 

Carolina Crown- The hornline is still as solid as ever! Lots of energy being projected by them and I loved it. Still not sure what the show is about, but I liked it. I was extremely impressed with that opening statement as it grabbed my attention immediately. Not sure if they will crack top 3, but they should remain in the top 6.

Bluecoats- Ok ok... I am extremely impressed with how well the show was executed and how clean it was across the board. By just watching them march I was reminded about how important it is to focus on fundamentals and how crucial it is. The corps would NOT be in the position that they are in if they didn't focus in that area. But as a show..... it isn't my glass of beer. Unfortunately I am just not a Beatles fan. Dont get me wrong though, I like certain songs from them, but I just dont care for them. Interesting arrangements too... I imagine the corps paid out the rear for copyright too.... right? Either way, I noticed the kids around me ate it up and I feel like they designed it for that specific reason. That is NOT a bad thing! Keep up the good work coats!

SCV- That is one big tarp. Like, it is really big. They have another incredible hornline this year and how about that screamer? SUPER C!!!! I would like to view the show again while focusing more on the visual design. They were a little dirty, but if I were them, I would consider that as an opportunity to improve in as the season goes on. Not a fan of the sousaphone though.... needed some contra. As a whole it was my second favorite of the night and I was impressed with how clean and balanced it was. Melos might need some work with balancing and tuning in a couple of parts, but bah! Didn't ruin the experience for me!

Blue Devils- Easily my third favorite of the night. Awesome show concept and I actually hoped that they would have pulled ahead of the Bluecoats tonight. I absolutely love the use of their props as a visual effect and it was executed extremely well! There were some timing flaws and what actually helped this corps was that the wind dimmed down as the show went on. BD fans, be VERY proud! They have something special this year. And the sousaphone needed more contra

And lastly..... :)))))

The Cavaliers- As soon as I started this tears began to form. This show is just so freaking good. I am sure that I was annoying the folks around me with my facial expressions and my ooo and awes. Firstly.... LOW FREAKING BRASS!!!! LOW FREAKING BRASS!!! Shoot, I stood up in the middle of the opener and yelled "TUBA!!!!!!". And that baritone section, the trombones.... THAT DRILL DESIGN! What?!?!? I loved every moment and every aspect about this show. 16 contras.... keep it like that folks! How about that upper brass soloist section(s)?!? I really really really really really want them to clean the heck out of this show... to the point where those judge HAVE to move them up in placement. Guys, was this how it was like to watch them in the early 2000s? If so, I am glad I experienced that. Lord I love this show.

A side note for those that are still reading... thank you for all the kind words. I wish I could go back in time and experience that show live one more time. One of my favorites that is for sure... and it was awesome meeting fellow drum corps fans!!! I learned a lot from yall and it was a experience(s) worth remembering. Lol... by the way, I noticed a few folks turning around looking at me after my posts and when I was walking in the lot or booth area I also noticed a few double takes... LOL it is ok to say hello! HAHA! My friend, muffin_man, thought it was silly too. Come by and say hello! I am ALWAYS down to talking about drum corps, DCI, or music in general. Guys, I am a clarinetist that is in love with marching and brass... I promise, in terms of music and being a nerd, I am just as weird as you are. Either way, thank you for the memories everyone. I promise I won't forget it!

Now, let's head over to the SA thread

Nice review. Thanks for the insights and your enthusiasm!!

• Thanks 1

Great show!  The stadium is very impressive!!  A big thank you to those that gave the warnings about parking!!! We Uber’d to the stadium and as we approached it and saw the LONG lines trying to get in, knew taking the Uber was a wise choice!  So again thank you DCP!

Now on to SA!

• Like 2