Jersey Surf 2019

I have no association with the corps, I just went to their 2019 thread to wish them well on their season debut tonight, only to find that there wasn't one yet. 

I'd love to see Surf work their way back into Semis this year after four years out! Not only will the lack of Oregon Crusaders/BDB/SCVC help their chances, but browsing their website, it looks like they've got the staff in place to do so! Talk about some big names. Alan Spaeth hasn't forayed into the drum corps world much, but he is one of the most talented designers on the high school marching band side of things, and has been for two decades now. Mitch Rogers is writing their drill, and the Alan Spaeth/Mitch Rodgers duo is what catapulted Flower Mound to the top of the BOA world. Add in music arranger Don Hill of LD Bell/Broken Arrow/Phantom Regiment fame, and that's a great design staff line up. Looks like most of the instructional staff has been in place for the last few years, and that's always a good sign. Drum corps is healthier when the corps at the bottom are thriving as well.

Best of luck on your premier tonight, Surf, and have a great season!

• Like 4

Seeing Kershaw and Longdo involved is a very encouraging sign 

1 hour ago, Jake W. said:

I have no association with the corps, I just went to their 2019 thread to wish them well on their season debut tonight, only to find that there wasn't one yet. 

I'd love to see Surf work their way back into Semis this year after four years out! Not only will the lack of Oregon Crusaders/BDB/SCVC help their chances, but browsing their website, it looks like they've got the staff in place to do so! Talk about some big names. Alan Spaeth hasn't forayed into the drum corps world much, but he is one of the most talented designers on the high school marching band side of things, and has been for two decades now. Mitch Rogers is writing their drill, and the Alan Spaeth/Mitch Rodgers duo is what catapulted Flower Mound to the top of the BOA world. Add in music arranger Don Hill of LD Bell/Broken Arrow/Phantom Regiment fame, and that's a great design staff line up. Looks like most of the instructional staff has been in place for the last few years, and that's always a good sign. Drum corps is healthier when the corps at the bottom are thriving as well.

Best of luck on your premier tonight, Surf, and have a great season!

My son is a 2016 grad of Flower Mound and was very appreciative of what Alan Spaeth brought to their program - best of luck to Surf!

And it looks like they have finally turned that corner! Premiered almost seven points higher than their opening score last year...and five days earlier in the tour! Way to open your season, Surf. Good to see this corps finally back on track!

I may or may not have just had the chance to watch Surf's show, and I had a few thoughts.

First, thinking back to the past few years, it was obvious they were on a downward trend.  I feel like everything was working against them: design, instruction, and, even though I typically refrain from commenting on members, the talent just wasn't there.  There were many times where I would watch and wonder if many of these members had ever even marched or held a horn before.

This year is a total 180.  First, the numbers are way down.  Looks like 42 horns, ~25 guard, ~35 percussion.  Let's call it roughly 100 total members. I don't know if that means they simply didn't get the audition numbers they used to or if they made the conscious decision to go with fewer, more talented members. Whatever the reason, it seems to have worked in their favor.  I didn't watch them thinking that there were obvious weak links like in previous years.  The smaller size actually suits them in this case, and kudos to them for making the decision to close holes early to allow more time to refine the product.  The members are already truly holding their own, and that also says something about the quality of instruction.

On the design side of things, the show feels fresh and doesn't follow a specific formula - it just flows nicely (hah, FantaSEA...flow...).  It's not your typical in-your-face drum corps type of experience, and I salute them for that.  Why play everyone else's game?  It's just a really enjoyable experience from beginning to end (and still more to be added, I'm sure).

There was a point not too long ago where Surf was doing better competitively and had an identity that I'm sure helped with recruiting. After the past few years, I was worried that it would start being an issue for them, but this seems like the type of show that will be capable of reigniting potential members' interest in Surf, especially so if they are able to gain some ground competitively.  I'm hoping this is just the start of something wonderful for them.  They've got a fan in me, for sure.

• Like 5

I think a couple things factor into smaller numbers. A bunch of people moving up to other corps and the cost. I think if they lowered the price they could get more bodies. I believe they are 4k plus so roughly 400k in dues. Lower the fees to $3600 and get 25 more members and they can make more money than higher at 4k. Once you get to the 29th they were at you kind of get into a pattern of one and dones. I think the vets that stayed and the ones that auditioned just gel making this year a step up. Hopefully they can be competitive and successful this year to start them on a trend up. I wouldn't complain about another bridgemania show :whistle: