Jersey Surf 2019

22 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

lesson learned....design for what you have, not who you want to be. 

Absolutely disagree with that.   The last several years they were held back by designs that didn't do enough FOR their players, that were too casual and lacking in depth, creativity and competitiveness.  The brand new design team wrote something for DCI, not for a college halftime show, and it showed.  Compare with the 2015 anniversary show, for example, and note 2019's increase in sophistication in both drill and arrangement.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Eleran said:

Absolutely disagree with that.   The last several years they were held back by designs that didn't do enough FOR their players, that were too casual and lacking in depth, creativity and competitiveness.  The brand new design team wrote something for DCI, not for a college halftime show, and it showed.  Compare with the 2015 anniversary show, for example, and note 2019's increase in sophistication in both drill and arrangement.

I could be wrong but I think they were referring to the fact that Surf wrote a show for the numbers they had, not the numbers they wanted. The past few years they have been marching with tons of holes all season.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Eleran said:

in some ways I agree....and in some I do not. conceptually, yeah you're right. But I think the members they were drawing wren't up for several of the technical demands placed upon them. When you start spring training right about the time the rest of DCI is about to come out of spring training, you're behind. And trying to get kids to move and play some of the musical challenges given them without having the extra time to work on it hurt.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Madisonscoutsfan said:

I could be wrong but I think they were referring to the fact that Surf wrote a show for the numbers they had, not the numbers they wanted. The past few years they have been marching with tons of holes all season.

not just numbers, but talent.

Why has no one posted this yet????

SURF MAKES IT BACK INTO SEMIS FOR THE FIRST TIME IN FIVE YEARS!! Congratulations, Jersey Surf!!!! Unbelievably well-earned. Lay it all on the field tomorrow and have a blast knowing you were part of the corps that put Jersey Surf back on the competitive map! I could not be more impressed with the corps this year!

• Like 1