How to Watch DCI like a Pro

In a few weeks I'll be taking several family members to their very first DCI show, and I wanted to give them some tips about what to watch for in order to fully appreciate what they are seeing.  I'm sure they will enjoy the performances regardless, but it's nice to be able to recognize the little details that distinguish a good corps from a great corps, and to have some sense of what the judges are looking for.  If you were taking newbies to a show, what suggestions would you give them so that they could recognize accomplishments and qualities that might not be obvious to the uninitiated?  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Brian Porter-Szucs said:

In a few weeks I'll be taking several family members to their very first DCI show, and I wanted to give them some tips about what to watch for in order to fully appreciate what they are seeing.  I'm sure they will enjoy the performances regardless, but it's nice to be able to recognize the little details that distinguish a good corps from a great corps, and to have some sense of what the judges are looking for.  If you were taking newbies to a show, what suggestions would you give them so that they could recognize accomplishments and qualities that might not be obvious to the uninitiated?  

I've taken a couple newbies to shows over the past few years. I usually showed them a show or two ahead of time that I find particularly engaging so they are oriented to the concept. Other than that, I just try to give them a really basic overview of each show so they have some sense of what's about to happen. However, I avoid getting too much past that because I don't want to prejudge them. It is also really interesting to hear what someone new picks up on. For example, last year the person I brought to an early season show hands down felt Music City was the best corps because of its entertainment value and couldn't really care less that several other corps at the same show were superior in performance quality. I found myself loving Music City more as a result and they wound up one of my "must see" shows all season long. The best shows, in my opinion, are great at face value without any hard thinking and are also great on the deeper levels that fans and aficionados appreciate. If I bring a person to another show, I start to dig in a little more.

I basically let them guide me. I answer questions, share tidbits connected to comments they make, etc. 

• Like 4

From a former pro now watching as a born-again-to-the new-age-of drum-corps, the first advice I'd give is to not overthink anything. Just enjoy the entertainment value based on your own tastes. The possibility is always there that your family will enjoy the 4th place corps more than the 1st. Even as a first time observer, things like the precision, the musical theater and athleticism of the MMs will be evident to them and perhaps pointing out some of the subtle nuances of each corps with regards to these help them get a clear picture of what's before them. Enjoy and have fun. 

I brought my husband to a drum corps show once when we were in the US, visiting from Scotland. ( He'd never seen or heard anything like it as the only marching we get around here is pipe bands.  He isn't a musician either (but loves music) So he watched with great interest and laughed at the end looking at me in disbelief, going 'You used to do this?'   And I laughed and said, yes, but our bugles were in G.   Over his head.  

I let him watch without telling him anything about the scoring.  I did have to explain the evolution though with military history up to the present day evolution and the instrumentation, how it's all conceptual shows and storytelling, etc, etc.  Once the corps were done and we were waiting for the scores, I told him about the judging in general terms (music, visual, how well they march, how 'cool' something looks, how well they play together, etc),  so he at least understood what the scores meant at the end.   I don't think he could have placed any of the corps in any order, but he enjoyed all the shows.  

Now he watches me in brass band competitions, where he has to sit most of the time, through the same piece of music played by 20 different bands and appreciates the variety in drum corps!  (I wish our judging criteria was as transparent as DCI criteria!)  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

For the love of God, don't ruin the activity for them by teaching them about the judges' caption sheets, changes that are "destroying the activity,"  or the existence of DrumCorpsPlanet.com. 

Just kidding. If it's their first time, just let them enjoy the show! 🙂

If they want to know how the corps are judged, just keep it high level. Design, Visual, Music. Content & Performance. 

Edited by fanman
  • Like 2

I agree with the other posts. Just let them enjoy and try to answer questions before or after shows about what they are seeing. Some video watching before they get to their first show isn't a bad way to go. I sometimes like to preface things with new folks by telling them that drum corps is NOT like traditional marching band. It's more about the artistic experience and more of a production like a Broadway show, but on a football field. It's a bit more athletic with more interplay with brass, percussion, and guard, more costuming and props, and not the type of traditional show-style marching that they might see at local games. It helps. I also often tell them that high school and college kids often like to do this in the summer to explore new challenges and boundaries in show design, and of course for the thrill of traveling and performing for thousands of fans. It gives them a better picture of why the activity exists in its' current state.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fanman said:

For the love of God, don't ruin the activity for them by teaching them about ... 

...the existence of DrumCorpsPlanet.com

Exactly. Only twisted minds can enjoy both at same time. :sigh:

Ensure that they are up to speed on everything people perceive is ruining drum corps. Also, if your favorite corps is there, let your family know that they are the hardest working and best corps by far, and all the others stink. If they don't win, then explain how it's all a rigged system and just politics. This will forever endear them to the activity. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Baritone said:

Now he watches me in brass band competitions, where he has to sit most of the time, through the same piece of music played by 20 different bands and appreciates the variety in drum corps!  (I wish our judging criteria was as transparent as DCI criteria!)  

I’ve been a fan of John Maimes “World of Brass Radio’s” Friday podcasts for years.  The talent of the bands musicians and the arrangements are beautiful.

If you pull up the fb page for Brian Smith, you can locate his links to hundreds of D&BC videos of many corps throughout the decades.  I imagine your husband has found YouTube helpful.  Good luck.