How to Watch DCI like a Pro

1 hour ago, CorpwithanS said:

Took newbies to the Premier.

"too many flags and more marching would be nice", 

i'm assuming they had some sort of marching experience. true noobs don't care about the % of time people march.  comments are usually more like "why don't they make shapes that people can recognize" when it comes to the marching aspect. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lance said:

i'm assuming they had some sort of marching experience. true noobs don't care about the % of time people march.  comments are usually more like "why don't they make shapes that people can recognize" when it comes to the marching aspect. 

Actually you assumed wrong. Adults w/ no Drum Corps/marching experience.Cheers

Just now, Lance said:

sure, lol

love this thread

indeed.

When there were more drum corps of varying ability, which was the case when I fell in love with drum corps, corps were divided into three devisions: Class C or junior, which usually had beginners to age 13, often feeder corps. Class B or Prep which would have had the widest age range and were moderately good, and Class A or Senior (not senior as in all age), which would be WC and OC today. At local shows we knew which corps were more competitive.

In my earliest days, 1975 or 76, anything that matched I enjoyed. Then I began enjoying specific corps. Enjoyment came first, followed by volume, stunts, and so on. Since I think I have attended at least one show per season, with maybe a year off due to an emergency or something coming up, just bring friends and let them enjoy. 

I am also a huge opera buff and love classical music. I started by listening to what I liked, then it expanded and grew. 

10 hours ago, Brian Porter-Szucs said:

In a few weeks I'll be taking several family members to their very first DCI show, and I wanted to give them some tips about what to watch for in order to fully appreciate what they are seeing.  I'm sure they will enjoy the performances regardless, but it's nice to be able to recognize the little details that distinguish a good corps from a great corps, and to have some sense of what the judges are looking for.  If you were taking newbies to a show, what suggestions would you give them so that they could recognize accomplishments and qualities that might not be obvious to the uninitiated?  

Honestly other than letting them know they’re going to be basically seeing marching bands on steroids kind of professional level marching bands  I wouldn’t say much . think the worst thing you can do is over explain everything to people new to any activity I’ve seen this in another hobby of mine but be ready to answer any questions. I would tell them , especially if there are smaller less experienced corps on early in the show just let them know that as the night goes along the corps  get bigger and more experienced. 

Let us know how it went 😊

• Like 1