Cedarburg, WI - Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Wow. Blue Stars were impressive. The outdoorsy theme worked for me, including the uniforms surprisingly. Marching booties! The shows was very good. They are strong this year.

2jnOebg.jpg

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Danhobl said:

Colts. I don't get their show other than they go from fire to ice and don't play a crowd pleasing song until the closer.

posted from the DrumScorps app

I mean, their show is called “When Hell Freezes Over” and the corps depicts hell and then it freezes over. There’s nothing to not get, and it sounds like you already got it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I did not get to the stadium in time to see the first two groups. Sorry, Colt Cadets and River City Rhythm. 

Madison Scouts: The uniforms look sharp but don't elevate the theme or vibe of the show. And like when PR came out in all white or all black, a singular color head to toe really exposes dirt, and Scouts unfortunately have a lot of that. There were a couple of times that the Madison machismo seemed to appear, but the show was pretty shaky for the most part and seemed really long. I do not get a theme, not that such is everything, but it might would have helped the corps do a better job of selling the production a just that, a production. Percussion seemed quite strong. 

Colts: They really came out swinging. The theme is super clear and easy to follow. The best they have been in a while. Some transitions to work out and cleaning to do of course. I particularly liked the pacing and commitment to performance. Good job, Colts!

Phantom Regiment: I wasn't able to make it to SoS so I was eager to see the old team. They were really really really  good and I am glad to see and hear that the rumors of their disaster of a show is anything but.  Some really smart choices and great staging and pacing kept me plugged in the entire time. Clean this up and I cannot see it not making finals. The beginning needs to grab us better as does the end. 

Crossmen: They reminded me of PR in a way. Aggressive and trying to prove a point. I have not cared for them at all for a long long time. I enjoyed tonight a lot. The narrative is not so detailed that you get caught up in it. It is pretty clear. All sections seem fairly matched in talent and performance capabilities. It seems the ending works well. So is it a matter of changing, cleaning, or a combination of both?

Blue Stars: A whole notch up in performance and design from the previous groups. There is so much detail and nuance that one viewing is certainly not enough. They sound AMAZING and look about three weeks from being visually in control of this visual monster of a show. Just wow! Musical and exciting. This day and age they may end up in the same spot as last year, but with a better corps. Eager to see and hear it again and again.

As always, I will stick around tomorrow for a Fourth of July that only Cedarburg can provide. 

Edited by phan771
  • Like 6

YEAH RED TEAM!!!!🔺🔺🔺