Lexington, SC - Friday, July 5th, 2019

41 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

My question ..... why  is the focus on how a show is “designed” rather than how it is performed? The design  caption is primarily geared to how much a corps can spend to depict an idea.

I feel those GE points should be redirected to how well the members portray the the show theme. Props need to go away and a return to individual performance should take over on the sheets.!

Both are part of the GE sheets, which each have a "repertoire effect score" and a "performers score" (or at least that was the case on the most recent GE sheets I've seen, before they combined music and visual GE). 

1 hour ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Surfs up! At this rate they'll pass their final score last year in like 5 days. 

Don't know about that but they are about 11 days ahead of where they were last year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThePlanets said:

I'm looking forward to seeing them at semifinals. An automatic 3 place jump plus them just overall doing better this year. 

Gonna sound silly but they are my #1 corps to see that I have never seen before. #2 is L-Stars

That might be an interesting question for people generally to answer: what active corps that you've never seen live is highest on your to-see list?

In my case, I've seen all DCA corps, all DCI World Class corps, all DCI Open Class corps who have made it to Finals the past seven years, and the top three DCE corps of the past several years. So I guess I'd most like to see Columbians or the Battalion. And if I knew more about Asian corps, there's probably some there worth seeing. Wasn't there a Thai corps that did a show with bicycles that was supposed to appear in DCI a few years ago?

• Like 1

I’m just back from the show, plus ensemble rehearsal for Crown. Here are some quick thoughts:

-Surf was very enjoyable. Nicest brass sound I’ve heard from them. Much cleaner sound than Music City. 

-Music City was a bit muddled to me.  I understand why they beat Surf, but I didn’t enjoy it much.

-Spirit sounded really nice. But the cloaks drove me bonkers until they lost them. Edna Mode would not approve.

-I loved Phantom.  There are some beautiful moments in this show.

-The increase in talent and performance for Boston is crazy. They have a fantastic show, although I was not crazy about Goliath on stilts. It kind of killed the momentum for me.

-If Crown finishes 5th or 6th this year, then this may be the deepest pool in my 30 years of watching DCI. The opening minute of the show is hair raising good.  It is so nice to hear live.  They play the heck out of it - in perfect control, of course. But the guard is really struggling. That’s not news on these boards, but there were some pretty ugly spots tonight.

-Very nice overcast weather.  Nice to hear drum corps outside and close.  Looking forward to seeing the visuals at the Mercedes Dome.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Tim K said:

My guess is the range of responses to BAC beating Crown at a home show will be “Boston Crusaders just won the title and the season is over” to “The judges mixed up the score sheets and it was really Crown’s victory.”😊

In all seriousness, congratulations to Boston Crusaders! This win is important and you deserve to be proud, especially where Crown is a formidable competitor.

Heck no. Congrats Boston!  (Had to bail on the show thread at 930:-(.  ).  Doing this on the phone. Will read all the comments tomorrow. 

• Like 2

Just got home from the show,  wonderful night of drum corps, the weather held up and every Corp showed improvement. Jersey surf brought us a different show for them, that’s going to be in contention in open class, and Music City was so much fun, Spirit sounded and looked great, memories of ‘12 and ‘13. I’ve been looking forward to seeing Phantom live, as this show really moved me in the theater, we were lucky to sit next to a couple that were spending a ten day vacation working on the food truck for Phantom, something they have done for the last four years, as their son is doing his age out tour on euphonium. There are so many unsung hero’s in this activity, that get our precious cargo from show to show, THANKYOU !!!  Phantom brought it, and in a BIG WAY !! This show may go way up into the top twelve. Then Boston, all I can say is wow !! Looking and sounding so sharp and crisp , it’s evolving well, a true contender for sure. And Crown, first off, thankyou for hosting such a fine show at wonderful venue, it’s nice to be able to be close without spending a small fortune. First hit... they set you right back in your seat with a brass that always produces, and the battery kept the momentum going, and a great looking guard that is maybe saving something for latter, I like this show !! Congrats to Boston ! but the true winners tonight were the fans. Thankyou to all that were involved in this wonderful evening !!

• Like 6