Finals week

Hello and Happy 4th to all I have a question about finals week and would like some input if possible. In the past my wife and I planned our vacations from work around finals week so we could go and watch rehearsals and see the different things around Indy. We would volunteer on our sons Corps for food truck or whatever was needed and this year we were told the volunteer slots were filled so we would not be needed. So that being said we decided we would just sit back and relax and enjoy the free time to watch rehearsals and enjoy our vacation but now we are being told parents are not allowed at the housing site and rehearsals are closed. I guess my question is do other Corps have that same policy the last Corps he was with did not and it is giving us a very uneasy feeling. Thanks for any insight hope everyone has a safe and Happy holiday. 

1 hour ago, Psycobikerbob said:

now we are being told parents are not allowed at the housing site and rehearsals are closed.

It's not uncommon. Some of the school housing sites (school is in session in some high schools in indy during finals week) have rules about visitors on campus during school hours, other times the corps just want privacy to keep the members focused on whatever last minute adjustments the staff may be making or to put in something new. I wouldn't be alarmed or take it personally. 

Edited by Slingerland

Closed Rehearsals during finals Week? What in the hell? Is this a new thing?

What is there to hide on Finals Week? Unless you are inside the Colts Dome and are in public areas why would any corps close the rehearsal to the public?

Lots of corps have and have had closed rehearsals during finals week 

I think open is better but the closed rehearsal thing is not that unusual 

1 hour ago, Glenn426 said:

Closed Rehearsals during finals Week? What in the hell? Is this a new thing?

What is there to hide on Finals Week? Unless you are inside the Colts Dome and are in public areas why would any corps close the rehearsal to the public?

I think we may see more of this as fallout from the Hopacolypse.  People on school grounds who have not been vetted could lead to potential problems later on.

It is a classic example of how a few who misbehave (to put it mildly) have ruined it for the vast majority who have not. 

For example - see link

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/81-year-old-folk-legend-nixed-from-new-york-festival-line-up-due-to-decades-old-indecent-liberties-with-a-minor-conviction

Puff the Magic Dragon will never be the same...

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
link added

Closed rehearsals are not new. I know one corps a few years ago sent letters to parents and some fans, most likely donors, asking them to remember no one is allowed at rehearsal sites or the hotel. The reason was focus. You could watch warm ups or connect with loved ones after performances at LOS, but all other times were prohibited. This does make sense. It’s not unique to drum corps. I know a couple who have a daughter who played  basketball for an NCAA Elite Eight team in 2016 (don’t ask me which team, I’ve forgotten),  and they had a similar policy.

Regarding volunteering, as some have mentioned, it is possible it has to do with background checks and vetting, but in San Antonio, Atlanta, Allentown, and Indy, lots of folks want to volunteer. The more remote shows where there is less of an alumni and parent base is often where volunteers are needed. If you know your vacation plans earlier, maybe that could help, but speaking as someone who relies on volunteer help on many occasions, it is always better to find something for a volunteer to do, because too many “sorry we don’t need you” often leads to future volunteer shortages. 

I don't think that many corps have closed rehearsals. I am willing to be proven wrong, but I am guessing you can count the number on one hand and not use all your fingers. 

• Like 1

The focus thing is so odd to me... The kids have been around the whole summer working their butts off, having people in the stands all season, IF you as a performer cant hold focus for one block, that is a teaching/ discipline issue. 

You work so hard and pay so much money, you want to see your parents or friends in the stands.. Seeing you do what you love.. 

Definitely something to think about if you are a parent sending your kids to a corps... 

There's no way my son or daughter are performing Finals Week and I'm not there rooting them on at every moment that I could... 

I will be attending my first DCI finals this year. I have heard that there is a park near the stadium where corps warm up. Could someone identify this park for me and its location.

Also, are these warmups also done on semifinal day?

Lastly, is there a time frame when these warmups occur?

Thanks.

P.S. The only finals I have attended was in 1965 for the VFW, held in Chicago. Even though finals had to be held indoors at the McCormick Center, the title-winning program by the Chicago Royal Air was magnificent and memorable. Can't get their renditions of Alexander's Ragtime Band and Watermelon Man out of my memory bank, nor would I want to do so.

I suspect that the same will be true this year.