Simple but effective drill moves

39 minutes ago, BeachBum said:

I heard a rumor that Cadets are having some internal admin/management issues but nothing concrete. Anyone know nah thing about that? 

This is not the thread for that question.  Ask on the corps 2019 thread.  

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Tupid_06 said:

I always thought the cross into the star at the end of 1999 Madison's Jesus Christ Superstar was a really good example of this. 

Crowd absolutely lost their minds. Friends who were there tell me it was the loudest they ever heard a crowd at a DCI event.  

Edited by HolyNOLA
  • Like 1

Don't know if this qualifies as a drill move per se... but the Bridgemen's full-corps "faint" to conclude their 1976 Finals performance.

It was the absolute perfect way for that corps to put an exclamation point on their groundbreaking season. And it brought the house down in Philly that night. 

27 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Don't know if this qualifies as a drill move per se... but the Bridgemen's full-corps "faint" to conclude their 1976 Finals performance.

It was the absolute perfect way for that corps to put an exclamation point on their groundbreaking season. And it brought the house down in Philly that night. 

Speaking of Bridgemen, how about the Bridgemen shuffle of 79-80.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HolyNOLA said:

Crowd absolutely lost their minds. Friends who were there tell me it was the lousiest they ever heard a crowd at a DCI event.  

Yeah, the place went nuts. Biggest pop of the night, for sure.

After Madison, Vanguard got the loudest response in 1999. Those two shows were head and shoulders above everyone else in terms of baby-throwing that year.

Anything with interlaced contrary motion.  Block compression/expansion moves are also visually effective but simple to write and perform (I think I recall the '98 Devils show having a lot of this... and getting lots of fairly easy visual credit). Not to say that they didn't have a lot of other hard stuff in there as well.  They did quite a lot of block rotation, which is on the opposite side of the spectrum.

Edited by cfirwin3

42 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Anything with interlaced contrary motion.  Block compression/expansion moves are also visually effective but simple to write and perform (I think I recall the '98 Devils show having a lot of this... and getting lots of fairly easy visual credit). Not to say that they didn't have a lot of other hard stuff in there as well.  They did quite a lot of block rotation, which is on the opposite side of the spectrum.

Not exactly what you're talking about, but I've always loved the segment in 93 BD from about 0:16 to 0:40. Block rotates, then rotates again and compresses, then that form changes direction at half time. 

Edited by kdaddy
  • Like 1

Just now, kdaddy said:

Not exactly what you're talking about, but I've always loved the segment in 93 BD from about 0:16 to 0:14. Block rotates, then rotates again and compresses, then that form changes direction at half time. 

That's my favorite show of all time.  That drill represents the hardest side of the spectrum.  Good stuff.