IS THE 35 YARD LINE THE NEW 50?

14 hours ago, karuna said:

Right handed bias in drill writers?  Or it could just be a coincidence 😜

In any case Crown's ballad will give the side 1 audience plenty of love 😍

Love the ballad, but it is very visually clumsy trying to get back over to side 2. About a minute or so of what in the **** is that and why? Folding the front ensemble down to the front sideline would make the transition far better. 

• Like 1

I think its a combination of things.. 

I think with the logistics of on-off at Lucas Oil the groups enter and exit stage left (Side1). Its easier to have the big equipment have a shorter distance to set up so Side 1 is the obvious side to put large stages (Crown 19, Bluecoats 18) 

Leaving side 2 as the spot to have up front close features.

With this year and the changes to the Judges and the sideline, Drum guys wanted an area clear to plant their lines to get a good read.. Side 2 it is.. 

Thanks to those who have responded to my topic.  The first year I marched was in 1981.  That was the last year that I had to march with a vibraphone harnessed to me, so I was thrilled in 1982 when the pit was created.  So were the drill writers.  It's from that perspective that I suggest a corps try moving the pit even further back behind the back hash mark.  Since almost every instrument in the pit is now amplified there is no longer a need to have it near the front sideline. Moving the front percussion ensemble behind the back hash mark would allow for better staging and cleaner visual design, and it would make getting the equipment in and out of the stadium less of a traffic jam.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bluesman said:

Thanks to those who have responded to my topic.  The first year I marched was in 1981.  That was the last year that I had to march with a vibraphone harnessed to me, so I was thrilled in 1982 when the pit was created.  So were the drill writers.  It's from that perspective that I suggest a corps try moving the pit even further back behind the back hash mark.  Since almost every instrument in the pit is now amplified there is no longer a need to have it near the front sideline. Moving the front percussion ensemble behind the back hash mark would allow for better staging and cleaner visual design, and it would make getting the equipment in and out of the stadium less of a traffic jam.

Interesting thought actually. What happens at that point to the battery given the new 2 yard rule though? Would they also be relegated to the back hash? 

3 hours ago, bluesman said:

Doesn’t really give the front ensemble a chance to “perform”

On 7/4/2019 at 6:46 PM, bluesman said:

Why are we seeing so many shows this season that have the corps performing most of the drill on the right side of the 50 yard line.  These corps have moved the pit out of the pit, or they have combined it with stages and props on the left side of the 50.   Anyone who failed to get their dream ticket on the 50 yard line and instead got a seat on the 35 yard line are pretty happy right now.... but only if they are on the "right" side of the field.   Is this just a coincidence or will we see more of this type of design in future shows.  Is the 35 yard line really the new 50?

This got me thinking - recall prior to 1984 that marching execution was tick based (Corps started w/ perfect score in the for each execution caption judge,  w/ 1/10th point deducted for each error).  There were 2 marching execution judges, one on either side of the 50 (called side 1 & side 2, respectively).    So, under the old system putting most of the marchers on one side or the other could in theory get a very high score on the other side - no members=>no mistakes deducted.

IIRC in 1980 Guardsmen were coming off their best season ever, but in 1980 started the season with ~30 brass.  What they did was populate only one side (side 2 I think) of the drill, with the idea of recruiting more horns on tour (ultimately successful as they ended up 12th).

What I don't recall is if they had wildly inflated marching scores the first half of the season?  Terri - I know you were a recent alum - do you recall?