DRUM CORPS FAN OR FAN OF THE DRUM CORPS ACTIVITY

In the 70's, I was growing up in a blue collar town and was involved in mostly 2 activities, basketball & drum corps. Both activities were designated to keep kids off of the streets back then. I loved them both and was either doing one or the other for many of my teenage years. I started marching in a small corps in my home town before spending my last four years in a very competitive DCI corps that never finished lower the 5th place as a member. To this day, I still enjoy watching basketball but was never a big fan of watching other corps. I loved marching and being involved in corps but again, was never a fan of watching other corps. I would never trade away my days of drum corps and I'm  huge fan of the activity but can honestly say that I'm not a drum corps fan, even back then,  i couldn't watch more than 2 or 3 corps at a time (and normally from the side or the back of the field since we were one of the last corps on) because I'd be bored out of my mind even back in our day. I still go to local shows and spend much of my time there watching the corps warm up and looking at their faces, they have the same intense look that we had 40 plus years ago. 

Times have changed and so have drum corps, if the kids that are members and the current folks that are following corps are happy, then all is good. I know it morphed into a more elite group of musicians and less of a local activity to "keep kids off of the streets" and I'm fine with that. This activity is for the members, not for the me or anyone else that has a 2 bit opinion.

I owe so much of my success in my career to the lessons learned in corps and will always support my home team as long as I live but man, I could never sit on the 50 through 12 corps because I was never a fan of drum corps, only the activity, am I the only one that feels that way?  

Edited by Tupac
  • Like 1

I think that extremely well stated.

I am both. I'll go sit thru every corps at a show

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I am both. I'll go sit thru every corps at a show

Same. Before I started marching in DCI even, dad and I would sit through everything including A60's and the like. But I do get that not everyone will be like that and that's 100% ok.

I would think that most folks on these forums follow drum corps actively and like to sit and watch. It's the nature of posting on the internet about something.

I never marched- didn't know enough about it  until I was 20 then had to work the next summer to help pay for grad school.

My husband is a lot like you. He walked away in 01 and didn't see another show until 2012 when he took me for my birthday. I've been hooked since. I'm taking my mom to Indy and he doesn't want to go. He doesn't mind going to the HOF show in Massillon/Akron but he gets itchy because he isn't participating.

He's like that with other sports too. He's a bad spectator.

• Like 1

I'm a bad spectator also when it comes to DCI. Not so much that I don't want to watch - it is more like my get off my lawn attitude comes out and I then feel bad if I voice my opinion because I don't want to ruin it for anyone else, especially the younger kids and adults.