Sacramento, CA - Friday, July 5, 2019

Some really cool music for PC. This is my favorite show of theirs in quite a while from a pure listening standpoint. The lighted triangle props showed up very well in person. A few times they use a quick-flickering effect that honestly makes me wonder if there’s any seizure risk involved. Their soloists were great but quite a bit over-amplified, IMO. Nice solid finish, PC!

iEOkycb.jpg

gKA3OoO.jpg

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 3

Appreciative hometown crowd for subTerra. Mandarins made several changes to their show from the last time I saw, both musically and visually.

Musically, they’ve removed some of the mud from the top of “On the Shoulders of Giants,” they’ve changed some of the harmonics at the beginning of the ballad, and they added some chord changes to their final notes of the show (LOVED that particular change).

Visually, they no longer have the intruder climb up and battle the DM during the ballad—instead he now struggles with a brass member on the wagon behind the brass, which makes the staging more effective. The really big deal is that they now have MANY people hanging from bungee cords at a couple points in the show. It’s not really utilized too much yet, but I’m sure they’ll be making more out of it soon.

Unfortunately, it was particularly windy tonight so the guard had some rough moments with some of their really big weapon tosses, but that’ll iron out once they’re inside a dome.

The audience really applauded when during the final chords some mortar fireworks went off in the distance, perfectly timed.

33 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

brassboy, those are the first good shots of PC's triangles lit up I've come across! They look gorgeous!!!! Thank you for posting the pics!

They really do look great under the right lighting conditions, but I really wonder if they’ll lose a lot of their effect in a dome. Also, when they're NOT lit up after being lit up for a while, it makes the field suddenly look REALLY dull because their uniforms/costumes are so neutral. Bit of a trade-off for the effect, I suppose. 

54 minutes ago, brassboy said:

Some really cool music for PC. This is my favorite show of theirs in quite a while from a pure listening standpoint. The lighted triangle props showed up very well in person. A few times they use a quick-flickering effect that honestly makes me wonder if there’s any seizure risk involved. Their soloists were great but quite a bit over-amplified, IMO. Nice solid finish, PC!

iEOkycb.jpg

So that's what they're supposed to look like!

It's a misprint.