DCI ORLANDO - Orlando, FL - Saturday, July 6, 2019

5 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

"Fix You" reached #18 on the Billboard Modern Rock chart in 2005.

How many of the other songs that hit that chart that year have been played by drum corps or marching bands even once?

2005 was the year Green Day's American Idiot broke into the mainstream, and several marching bands have done music from that album before.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Well, it looks like I get to now make my yearly statement that nothing good comes out of Florida and do my annual repost of this wonderful gif 

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5d21426c3866586d2e

Is there one for California?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

It's not raining in California, but you may feel a little shaky or queazy for a few minutes each day....

Come out here....

But everything may cause cancer in California...

5 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Not to mention tons of great smaller-scale bands in the state such as Adair County and Bourbon County. Thanks to those two bands, the BOA Grand Nationals Class A trophy has never left Kentucky since 2014. DCI would benefit so much from putting a show in their backyard.

There are plenty more than just those two. There's a reason we are known as the "Land of the Small Band". Most of our bands can't make it to BOA due to funds, but there will be a few new faces at Nationals this year. We're having some issues with our state circuit ran by KMEA, so I would suspect that a lot of bands will be looking elsewhere for competition. Here's a small list of bands that would give those two a run for their money at Nationals.

Murray High School
Beechwood High School (2011 Class A Champion)
Anderson County High School
Harrison County High School
Russell County High School
Madisonville North Hopkins High School
South Laurel High School

Our largest band is 280 members, and this is the first year they will be this large. Before this year, the largest was 250. We also have some phenomenal mid size bands as well, such as Lafayette High School, Madison Central High School, North Hardin High School, Ryle High School, etc. If anyone watches high school band, I would give all of these that I have listed a watch.

3 minutes ago, onionhead said:

Went to a dci show in Lexington, Ky. in 2012. That’s when I realized drum Corp is even better with bourbon !!

My first show was in Lexington, back in 2007. Carolina Crown stole my heart from the Cadets that year, and I never looked back. It was great seeing Teal Sound before they folded, and seeing the Cadets second movement before the drastic re-writes (which I much preferred before the re-writes). I'm just happy that Southwind decided to move from Lexington and finally saw some success. The move to Lexington in the middle of the recession was not a smart decision. While it is a arts based city, it was still pretty rough for about a 10 year span.

• Like 1

Heard Surf playing "La Mer" (aka "Beyond the Sea") and thought for a minute that song, which they played in 2016, was part of this year's show too.

1 minute ago, Ghost said:

Is there one for California?

No need for one, that state probably contributes more to our country than any other state

• Like 1

A little perspective for those that have never been at this show. (I was on a staff two years ago.) Props are stored under the stands once unloaded so they can stay mostly dry if there is room. Brass, battery, guard, and even the front ensembles warmup outside around the outside of the stadium. Two years ago BAC ruined a soundboard in the rain at this show had to buy a new one that night during the rain delay. (Hope I remembered that correctly.)

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

No need for one, that state probably contributes more to our country than any other state

That, and they're breaking off slowly each and every year.