DCI ORLANDO - Orlando, FL - Saturday, July 6, 2019

1 minute ago, KVG_DC said:

Hah. we actually had a combined teaching method when I was in band in the mid/late 80s.  We had full dot sheets for the show my senior year for a Greg Cesario drill.  But there was still a tendency to then dress the forms once we learned our dots pretty well.  Those "going to their dot" against the form were accused of "doing a Marching and Maneuvering solo."   Although there was one form we kept screwing up because coming into it could get really messed if 1) the battery wasn't moving correctly or 2) the marchers waiting for the battery to get past their point were trying to march dot to dot with equally spaced steps.  It took us forever to get the hang of it and we only did so by dressing the form so we'd know when to start spacing our steps wider to make the dot.

We were taught where our dot was, but we were also taught to dress to the form. After 2 weeks, you shouldn't need your dot anymore.

I am actually loving the standstill and hearing Georgia, Let it be Me, Conquest, Amazing Grace, Lord's Prayer, etc.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cage said:

Wow, Boston is marching as much as Bluecoats when playing the Beatles.

I think Bluecoats move at least as much this year as the average corps.

• Like 1

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

I think Bluecoats move at least as much this year as the average corps.

They move as much, but marching...up for debate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Musicman1084 said:

Phantom down a quad, Boston down a quad, and Crown down a snare.  I know one's on the way for Boston, but hopefully the other two aren't season-ending issues, because it seems too late now to fill.

Crown down a bass too

Just now, Incognito365 said:

We were taught where our dot was, but we were also taught to dress to the form. After 2 weeks, you shouldn't need your dot anymore.

Basically that.  Freshmen were taught to use the 'two colored stones' method for learning their dots but forbidden to use them after a couple weeks.  Returning marchers we were like "ok dot is over there for the next form, got it. [Two walk though later] Got it...next.  

What was fun for those of us who kept our drill books, after finals at the end of the season taking the drill sheets and holding them up to the high cam view on the TV.