DCI ORLANDO - Orlando, FL - Saturday, July 6, 2019

Their arms are glistening. Haha. Reminds of those glorious summers I spent in the muggy, muggy south.

• Haha 1

Just now, Incognito365 said:

No idea what the two colored stones method is. Lol. We just always put a tiny little dot on the parking lot, but it was the same color throughout the show, so you literally had to dress to the form after learning it. 

It was this rather dumb thing where you'd have two stones. You'd be at your opening set and put one at the next dot and one on the dot after that.  Then you'd have everyone slow march the sets and learn those two sets.   Repeat etc.  By the time we'd learned the opener, most everyone was able to learn drill without using the stones.  

Greg Cesario thought it was bizarre when he saw the freeman doing it when he came for introducing the drill design and first learning.  with his drill, we had a number of solid forms and so it took some awareness not to step on the rocks and twist an ankle.  Which broke up the lines in the forms at first.  I think they stopped using the method the next year because Greg wrote the drill again.  Prior to Greg, we had Chops Czapinski as the drill writer.  He didn't use solid forms all that much but would make some super duper wide spreads across the field and expect us to be able to cross vast distances while having difficult passages. I mean he had flutes and clarinets at one point practically in a jazz run while doing scale runs...yeah that part got rewritten. 

• Like 1

Anyway enough memory lane.  I'm off to bed.  Hopefully tomorrow's stream in WI doesnt rain out.  

• Haha 1

Just now, KVG_DC said:

It was this rather dumb thing where you'd have two stones. You'd be at your opening set and put one at the next dot and one on the dot after that.  Then you'd have everyone slow march the sets and learn those two sets.   Repeat etc.  By the time we'd learned the opener, most everyone was able to learn drill without using the stones.  

Greg Cesario thought it was bizarre when he saw the freeman doing it when he came for introducing the drill design and first learning.  with his drill, we had a number of solid forms and so it took some awareness not to step on the rocks and twist an ankle.  Which broke up the lines in the forms at first.  I think they stopped using the method the next year because Greg wrote the drill again.  Prior to Greg, we had Chops Czapinski as the drill writer.  He didn't use solid forms all that much but would make some super duper wide spreads across the field and expect us to be able to cross vast distances while having difficult passages. I mean he had flutes and clarinets at one point practically in a jazz run while doing scale runs...yeah that part got rewritten. 

We would literally learn the drill backwards and forwards while playing. That took some getting used to. Lol. 

1 minute ago, GeorgiaPitMom said:

I realize they are not finished yet, but I think Crown wins the standstill. No contest. 

NOT EVEN CLOSE. !

• Like 2
  • Haha 1