Belleville, IL- July 14th

1 minute ago, xandandl said:

yes, we will vote with our wallets as well as our feet.

That has always been the case. It's called choice. So DCI loses some folks that don't like the activity, and they gain thousands of young people who love it. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

That has always been the case. It's called choice. So DCI loses some folks that don't like the activity, and they gain thousands of young people who love it. 

So that’s why GH left the activity when his proposals were initially voted down?  Oh wait. He didn’t leave. He stayed and continued to advocate for the changes he wanted. 

I’m not fond of the “if you don’t like it, leave” approach. I’m also a bit skeptical of the “lose some, gain thousands” claim. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TheAngryBavarian said:

Spirit a noticeable step up. Not as much crowd reception. Groovy, but a little weird.

I've only seen this show on video. I just don't get it. I don't like the costumes, it is more than a 'little' weird.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

So that’s why GH left the activity when his proposals were initially voted down?  Oh wait. He didn’t leave. He stayed and continued to advocate for the changes he wanted. 

I’m not fond of the “if you don’t like it, leave” approach. I’m also a bit skeptical of the “lose some, gain thousands” claim. 

Hey, it's your opinion. I'm fine with that. I doubt one man's idea changed everything to where it is today. It seems obvious to me that today's designers like what they are doing and how they are designing. I doubt they are doing so because of what one person may have wanted. The activity has evolved because of the people who GET involved. The current designers, teachers, and performers seem to like it. I'm not saying people should leave, but if they are going to cry all the time then maybe they can find something else more positive in their life. It beats being upset all the time. I, too, liked some things better back in the day, but I have adapted to the new era of design and frankly find myself really enjoying it. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Neither is staying the same or going backwards. You can't tame or control art. Artists explore and create. There are a lot of young people today that love where the activity is in terms of design. Not everyone is going to like it, but such is life. You can't have everything your way...and I think we all know that. I love the activity today and I loved it in the 80s and 90s. I have no desire to see the same old same old just. I love the new creativity and new design principles. I also like it when some old-school ideas or concepts get thrown into a modern show. That's cool too. Ultimately, if the current DCI model is not your thing, then I think there are other things to do, right?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Did I ask to “ have it my way”? Um, no. Do I like the direction the activity is going? Not particularly. If the current iteration of drum corps excites you, that’s awesome, but a lecture on how to appreciate modern day drum corps wasn’t necessary.

If you’ve read my other posts you would have known, I traded in my bleacher pad a couple of years ago. While I feel the basic tenets of drum corps are still alive like discipline, working for a common goal, and self esteem, the artistic side has been taken from the MMS and been handed over to professional staff. 

It’s a big world out there and we all have room to explore and enjoy our passions.

Enjoy the rest of the season.

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

Thank you for your thoughts.

Did I ask to “ have it my way”? Um, no. Do I like the direction the activity is going? Not particularly. If the current iteration of drum corps excites you, that’s awesome, but a lecture on how to appreciate modern day drum corps wasn’t necessary.

Cheers.

I did not give you a lecture on how to enjoy current DCI. I don't see that anywhere. I would never do that to you or anyone unless someone asked me how they might better enjoy today's corps. I simply made note about how things will change. Art tends to progress. Trust me, there are things I do not like about today's design. For me it likely has more to do with the music construction. I have complained about that too. So I am not asking anyone to like it or deal with it. It's simply not going to be for everyone but as long as the present generation of marchers are loving it and happy, I am cool with that. Definitely meant no disrespect to you. 

Peace!

5 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

I did not give you a lecture on how to enjoy current DCI. I don't see that anywhere. I would never do that to you or anyone unless someone asked me how they might better enjoy today's corps. I simply made note about how things will change. Art tends to progress. Trust me, there are things I do not like about today's design. For me it likely has more to do with the music construction. I have complained about that too. So I am not asking anyone to like it or deal with it. It's simply not going to be for everyone but as long as the present generation of marchers are loving it and happy, I am cool with that. Definitely meant no disrespect to you. 

Peace!

We will need some history to pass on the river under the bridge before we can learn why more corps are not marching maximum numbers this season:  fewer teens can afford the dues?? larger membership allowance was a flash in the pan??  fewer teens see DCI as something distinctive and different from their very good marching band program??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, xandandl said:

We will need some history to pass on the river under the bridge before we can learn why more corps are not marching maximum numbers this season:  fewer teens can afford the dues?? larger membership allowance was a flash in the pan??  fewer teens see DCI as something distinctive and different from their very good marching band program??

No doubt. All very good points.

5 hours ago, E3D said:

Yall have a team?  :w00t: 

Yes I have read where St. Louis will get a team. Just wanted to take a poke. 

Saw a arch rendering of the proposal for the stadium and it would be a nice venue for Drum Corps in my opinion. 

will...announcement is happening in a few weeks. start play in 2022. Stadium to be adjacent to union station. the recent rendinings will be awesome for corps, especially the field being 40' below street level