Belleville, IL- July 14th

Can only hope they go back to Lebanon or STL. This venue was bad news. Terrible parking, and you had to pay for parking on top, one way into the venue,  tons of bugs, and rude staff in stands who wouldn't let my son back into our seats with no wristband.....this was horrible. I won't be back unless they change venues. I've been going to local show for 20 plus years, but i'll have to vote with dollars here. 

3 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Can only hope they go back to Lebanon or STL. This venue was bad news. Terrible parking, and you had to pay for parking on top, one way into the venue,  tons of bugs, and rude staff in stands who wouldn't let my son back into our seats with no wristband.....this was horrible. I won't be back unless they change venues. I've been going to local show for 20 plus years, but i'll have to vote with dollars here. 

That venue was booty...last second change that could handle the crowd. McKendree isnt big enough...Americas Center was booked, despite the sports commission offering big bucks to move the booked group. I dislike Belleville West (i am an East grad). When the MLS stadium is built, i have a feeling  this will be there...on natural grass.

15 hours ago, dureau said:

Visual needs to be given less points in the scoring, it is not  twice as important as everything else.

OK then, go to a show,  keep your eyes closed then tell me how less important Visual is.  It may be twice as important or at least more important because there is a visual element to everything done on the field these days whether there is movement or no movement from brass and or percussion.  When done right visual should enhance and elevate the musical presentation.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

OK then, go to a show,  keep your eyes closed then tell me how less important Visual is.  It may be twice as important or at least more important because there is a visual element to everything done on the field these days whether there is movement or no movement from brass and or percussion.  When done right visual should enhance and elevate the musical presentation.  

Plus the larger weighting of visual is because all mms play some aspect in that fuller picture not merely the horn players, or percussionists, or guard who each get their own credit.

The more people today seem to criticize the the numbers process DCI adopted from the old Am. Legion sheets the more the contemporaries seem to be touting the approaches of the old VFW sheets. Am Leg. and VFW did not judge the same way nor give the same emphases.  Their were strong reasons DCI did not adopt the VFW approach. That discussion should be re-visited as part of any current dialogue of how to evaluate and what to stress. There are fewer and fewer each year who might be able to share their experience and those hassles.

33 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Most of my enjoyment from DCI comes from music only. Once a season is over, I rarely ever go and look back at the shows, I simply listen to audio recordings of them. That's not to say I don't enjoy the visual but my main draw to the activity is the music 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Plus the larger weighting of visual is because all mms play some aspect in that fuller picture not merely the horn players, or percussionists, or guard who each get their own credit.

The more people today seem to criticize the the numbers process DCI adopted from the old Am. Legion sheets the more the contemporaries seem to be touting the approaches of the old VFW sheets. Am Leg. and VFW did not judge the same way nor give the same emphases.  Their were strong reasons DCI did not adopt the VFW approach. That discussion should be re-visited as part of any current dialogue of how to evaluate and what to stress. There are fewer and fewer each year who might be able to share their experience and those hassles.

Do tell! I'm intrigued

12 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

Do tell! I'm intrigued

GE on the AL sheets was more akin to what we know along the years of DCI (originally GE visual, GE brass, GE percussion) now broken into two sheets where one judge is supposed to have a heavy visual background, the other a more musical background.)  VFW used a more heavily holistic approach on the same sheet. One of the veterans' groups also designated cadences, at one time prescribed so many company fronts which had to marched forward for at least 16 counts each, etc.; while one did, the other didn't. Parade points were also influential at one time beyond just prelim scores with prelims often being a shorter production of only five or eight minutes. 

Before all the original DCI judges and instructors have expired, they should be interviewed by someone such as a Steve Vickers or Colt Foultz type; I've already written my 200 page doctoral dissertation and don't plan on doing another. But there would be enough meat here for a decent Master's thesis for someone looking at arcane music history or Americana. Who's up to the challenge? Paul Litteau, Hugh Mahon, Joe Morello, Dennis DeLucia,  etc., etc. would be apt candidates to interview.

Edited by xandandl
  • Thanks 1

Serious question: do many people purchase and listen to audio recordings from finals? I have a hard time imagining there's a good balance across brass, percussion, pit and amplification/electronics. Or are there standstill recordings?

6 hours ago, The Dog said:

NOT Lebanon!!!! uuggh Nothing against McKendree, but WAY too small for even a small lineup show, let alone if only one previous year top 12 was included.