Belleville, IL- July 14th

1 hour ago, billj said:

Serious question: do many people purchase and listen to audio recordings from finals? I have a hard time imagining there's a good balance across brass, percussion, pit and amplification/electronics. Or are there standstill recordings?

Nope I just create my own archive of shows. Over the years I've collected a bunch of shows so that I basically have every show from the top 12 since 1979 and I'll just play them and listen to them music only. I do have some studio recordings but they're hard to come by. 

Nowadays I just record the flo streams and add them to my archive. For finals if a soloist messes up in a bad way I just wait until DCI releases their own edits and add that to the archive. But I tend to prefer the raw stream because I feel like DCI overedits everything 

1 hour ago, billj said:

Serious question: do many people purchase and listen to audio recordings from finals? I have a hard time imagining there's a good balance across brass, percussion, pit and amplification/electronics. Or are there standstill recordings?

I primarily go for the audio myself. The music has always been my favorite aspect of corps. (I never got beyond high school marching band, myself.) For visual, I am more impressed by whatever you might call the sort of drill that the Cavaliers did in Machine. But the music is really the thing for me. But then I am a big fan of classical and jazz and have always been blown away by the arranging and the performing. Just incredible stuff for me.

6 hours ago, LabMaster said:

OK then, go to a show,  keep your eyes closed then tell me how less important Visual is.  It may be twice as important or at least more important because there is a visual element to everything done on the field these days whether there is movement or no movement from brass and or percussion.  When done right visual should enhance and elevate the musical presentation.  

Have been noticing numerous posts remarking about the great drill writers of old this weekend. Brubaker, Gaines, Weber etc. and how the visual "wow" factor from the cleanly presented and performed visual package helped dictate GE. Yes, enhancing the music. Having transpired from the hand-written light-board method to the Pyware era, I-as a retired educator, miss this delivery that does not rely on props and "staging", still recognizing that integrating them should be done judiciously. 

On 7/15/2019 at 2:23 PM, The Dog said:

Can only hope they go back to Lebanon or STL. This venue was bad news. Terrible parking, and you had to pay for parking on top, one way into the venue,  tons of bugs, and rude staff in stands who wouldn't let my son back into our seats with no wristband.....this was horrible. I won't be back unless they change venues. I've been going to local show for 20 plus years, but i'll have to vote with dollars here. 

folks this event was held at a high school with the band parents and students hoping to raise funds for our program.  These are the feeder type places that funnel the best players to DCI.  Really harsh expectations on the venue and parking considering folks could have arrived at 5:30 to no traffic...  DCI trained our staff to manage the stands, no wristband meant no entrance to the stands. it's as simple as that!!!  HORRIBLE???? grow up  Really???   if you had a ticket in the stand and they let anyone in that didn't have a ticket and ruined your view of the show wouldn't that have made you upset????   all cars were parked by 7:30 pm  and they held the show start  as far as the entrance gate that was all DCI....Lebanon has nothing close to the parking lot West has...sour grapes much?  and the kicker if this would have been held in St. Louis parking would have been $20 (safety issue or downtown STL and a much further walk into the stadium etc...)  AND TO ALL THOSE FANS THAT SAID we have never paid for parking at DCI shows,,,theTexas show is charging the same amount $5...  

Edited by bandbooster
  • Like 2