What would today's shows score if teleported back to 1989?

I just picked a date in the past, no particular reason, but just a round 30 years. Of course there would be many infractions for things now allowed that were previously prohibited and everyone would have a stroke over the synths. But would they do ok or end up in last place?

1 minute ago, mfrontz said:

They'd win. The talent today across the top corps is insane. What they're asked to do and can do today is light years ahead from what was cutting edge in the late 80s.

I agree that the talent is incredible today, but I don't want to p-ss off the old timers by saying that. I was kinda thinking more about rules then versus rules now. Would there be enough ticks so that say, 2018 SCV, would end up in the 50s?

3 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

I'm am old timer. I marched only a few years after 89.

The tick system was out in 84. Even if it weren't, I don't think the corps of today would ever score 50.

I may not always like it, but what happens on the field today is nothing short of amazing.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

I may not always like it, but what happens on the field today is nothing short of amazing.

Question:  was what happen on the field in 2009 amazing?  1999?  1989?  1979?  My answer is yes. You cannot judge shows from yesterday through the lens of today. You just can’t. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wasn't trying to pit decade versus decade, more of discussion of the technical side of what would a modern show score under the rules of (I picked) 1989? 

41 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

I wasn't trying to pit decade versus decade, more of discussion of the technical side of what would a modern show score under the rules of (I picked) 1989? 

Well, under the rules of 1989, a show of today would be disqualified. Amps. Synths. Prerecorded material. Not allowed. 

• Like 3

Just now, HockeyDad said:

Well, under the rules of 1989, a show of today would be disqualified. Amps. Synths. Prerecorded material. Not allowed. 

This topic has been covered almost annually.  Different sheets, points were assigned differently in 89, etc.

1 hour ago, mfrontz said:

They'd win. The talent today across the top corps is insane. What they're asked to do and can do today is light years ahead from what was cutting edge in the late 80s.

I mean, they can’t all win. How would they rank amongst themselves?