What would today's shows score if teleported back to 1989?

41 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

I wasn't trying to pit decade versus decade, more of discussion of the technical side of what would a modern show score under the rules of (I picked) 1989? 

Well, under the rules of 1989, a show of today would be disqualified. Amps. Synths. Prerecorded material. Not allowed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Well, under the rules of 1989, a show of today would be disqualified. Amps. Synths. Prerecorded material. Not allowed. 

Not to mention the penalties for having 22 more members than allowed in 1989.

• Thanks 1

Your question would be better served by asking how would 1989 corps score today.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

I may not always like it, but what happens on the field today is nothing short of amazing.

It sure is.

HOWEVER, if DCI is still around in 30 years, some people will be describing the shows you now call "amazing" as obviously inferior.

So as I noted in the Lisle thread, at least some corps in 1989 marched while playing more than some corps in 2019 do.

The judges of 1989 might or might not notice that, and might or might not care. I don't know.

Also, in my opinion, 1989 judges might feel that 2019 corps sometimes were using synthesizers and amplification a crutch to fill in weak spots in the music, and that 2019 corps were sometimes using props to fill in weak spots in the visual design. Sometimes.

But they would likely also notice that the very best playing of 2019, and the very fastest drill of 2019 (albeit usually without playing), surpasses much that was done in 1989.

- - - - - - - - - -

Edited to note comparative times:

Bluecoats 1989:

Total show length 10 min. 50 sec.

How long any part of the brass plays while moving: 6 min. 1 sec.

Bluecoats 2019:

Total show length: 12 min. 13 sec.

How long any part of the brass plays while moving: 2 min. 27 sec.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

I just picked a date in the past, no particular reason, but just a round 30 years. Of course there would be many infractions for things now allowed that were previously prohibited and everyone would have a stroke over the synths. But would they do ok or end up in last place?

Angels and pin heads. Immovable objects and irresistible forces. Two different eras. Not worth the intellectual effort if you ask me. I prefer to enjoy each era in it’s context. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Angels and pin heads. Immovable objects and irresistible forces. Two different eras. Not worth the intellectual effort if you ask me. I prefer to enjoy each era in it’s context. 

A perfectly reasonable response.

That said, in some other arts, you'll find that polls or surveys of the "top ten X of all time" are fairly commonplace.

Thus Ulysses was chosen as the best English language book of the 20th century in a Random House survey in 1999 or so.

And Citizen Kane was picked as the best movie of all time in 1962, 1972, 1982, 1992, and 2002 by critics polled by the British Film Institute.

(In the 1952 poll, the winning film was Bicycle Thieves. In the 2012 poll, the winning film was Vertigo.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand

For reference for those who don't know it, here's a trailer for Bicycle Thieves, sometimes called The Bicycle Thief:

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

A perfectly reasonable response.

That said, in some other arts, you'll find that polls or surveys of the "top ten X of all time" are fairly commonplace.

Thus Ulysses was chosen as the best English language book of the 20th century in a Random House survey in 1999 or so.

And Citizen Kane was picked as the best movie of all time in 1962, 1972, 1982, 1992, and 2002 by critics polled by the British Film Institute.

(In the 1952 poll, the winning film was Bicycle Thieves. In the 2012 poll, the winning film was Vertigo.)

Funny story. A few years ago my brother in law, who is an old movie buff was in NYC with us, and wanted to watch Citizen Kane in a retro theater on the big screen. We were all in an absinthe bar in the Lower East Side but he wanted us all go to see the film. I asked if Rose Bud [spoiler alert] was still the sled. Long story short, he went to the screening alone while the rest of us saw the fairies after the third absinthe.  

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

Why are you doing this? 2019 shows would of been laughed at in 1989. Different score sheets, different style of design, etc...... A better question would be what shows would be able to compete in this day of age with the current scoring system?