When is it too much?

It’s obvious that trends have been moving towards more props and bigger productions. But does this create an uneven playing field for corps that don’t have the finances to compete at that level, and is this the cause of increasing costs to the kids and fans? Should there be a limit placed on the amount of props that can be used in the field, and do you think that corps like the Bluecoats use them to their advantage? How does the sport begin to regulate, or do they at all?

Discuss.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

It’s always been a resource arms race 

effective props that transport easily can be expensive or just require creative thinking 

a recent example might be the banner racks used by Boston during their GOT show a couple years ago 

I feel like Cadets' 2013 show was criticized a lot for all the effort that went into moving those towers around the field, but many recent shows have seen similar results without much complaint from the fans here.

• Like 2

While not always the case, some of the most financially secure corps not those placing in the top 6.    

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

My take ... “Broadway on Grass”. . . For me it’s not just the props but how some of these shows present. And I’m not an old school fuddy duddy.. .. over produced over amped .. it becomes synthetic ..  just how it feels to me.  The individual achievement is incredible however. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I feel like Cadets' 2013 show was criticized a lot for all the effort that went into moving those towers around the field, but many recent shows have seen similar results without much complaint from the fans here.

The effort coupled with "but why?!"

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

What the Cadets did was extremely exposed and extremely poorly done. They never were clean and spanned the length of the field sometimes diagonally, sometimes dressed down. It was very easy to see any mistakes being made. They were also obscenely heavy and didn't seem to have enough members dedicated to pushing them around. 

Contrast that with BD's stages they used the year after where things were put together pretty much perfectly show to show. Or their platforms/banners in 2016. Or their staircases in 2017. 

• Like 9

25 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

What the Cadets did was extremely exposed and extremely poorly done. They never were clean and spanned the length of the field sometimes diagonally, sometimes dressed down. It was very easy to see any mistakes being made. They were also obscenely heavy and didn't seem to have enough members dedicated to pushing them around. 

Contrast that with BD's stages they used the year after where things were put together pretty much perfectly show to show. Or their platforms/banners in 2016. Or their staircases in 2017. 

BD's prop game has been consistently better than other corps. They don't have the best design and execution every single year, but they are always among the best and don't make the big "what were they thinking?" mistakes that other corps are prone to. 2013 Cadets and 2017 Bluecoats I'm looking at you....

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, fanman said:

BD's prop game has been consistently better than other corps. They don't have the best design and execution every single year, but they are always among the best and don't make the big "what were they thinking?" mistakes that other corps are prone to. 2013 Cadets and 2017 Bluecoats I'm looking at you....

Their Doors/Flats/Slants/Platforms this year are extremely well thought-out. They are four different props in one and give them so many versatile options for what can be done with them. At times even the raising/lowering of them to different angles is used as an effect as well. Smart, smart, and very simple design. I assume some sort of different graphic/color will eventually be added to them.

• Like 1