When is it too much?

Regarding props: I am bored by props that are simply scenery or are only used for one effect. I am thrilled when props are re-positioned and/or repurposed to create multiple effects. Examples of note:

SCV Les Mis: Stationary flats hid the hornline for "Bring Him Home" and backfield effect. They allowed for the corps/drumline reintroduction. They created the various red/white/blue silk pops.

SCV: Ouroboros: Those were moved to create a multitude of effects, colors, staging, etc. constantly. IMO the best usage of a single design ever.

Cadets 12/25: They let me down because they didn't need a painting of a church steeple. They could have simply tilted the "snow-sled" hills on their sides and constructed a gorgeous all-white "Star of Bethlehem".

Edited by denverjohn
typo

4 minutes ago, denverjohn said:

Regarding props: I am bored by props that are simply scenery or are only used for one effect. I am thrilled when props are re-positioned and/or repurposed to create multiple effects.

Yep, this is the key for me as well ^^

• Like 1

SCV’s disappearing Phantom chair back in ‘89 might have been a bit of a Johnny One Note, but it likely provided the decisive GE bump for the title.

3 hours ago, denverjohn said:

Regarding props: I am bored by props that are simply scenery or are only used for one effect. I am thrilled when props are re-positioned and/or repurposed to create multiple effects.

This is why BD wins prop design for me this year.  Those things are relatively simple but they do a ton of things with them that make you go "oh neat, they can do that with them too."

• Like 3

at some point, the trends will change, and you may see less of it. remember props exploded for  time before, then phased out.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, chris ncsu said:

The effort coupled with "but why?!"

Those were very heavy.  Welded angle iron frames.  I don’t know how those girls moved them. I tried to move one at a rehearsal site...um no. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

at some point, the trends will change, and you may see less of it. remember props exploded for  time before, then phased out.

Yep.  It’s cyclical.  I’m patiently waiting for them to cycle out. 

• Like 2