When is it too much?

2 hours ago, garfield said:

That, or focus on building more corps that would catch the "walk-aways" who try out just once, get cut, and then go home.

This! Even from my view at the bottom of the DCI pyramid, this just kills me every year. These kids have the determination, the work ethic, yes the money, and we’re just saying “nope. See ya.” 

Mike

When is it too much, you say?

For those who also follow the BOA scene, I don't think we'll ever see a show in the future - DCI or otherwise - that was as insanely prop-heavy as Tarpon Springs HS 2016. Bluecoats this season may be close (the amount of props they have on the field does remind me of a Tarpon Springs production in a good way), but dear G*d, I hope we don't get anything like the former again. That really was too much.

— Expand the Top 12 to 15 or 16 (potential of keeping more of the cut kids that “go home” since the prospect of performing on Saturday is increased)

— for every prop that exceeds 6 feet in height or 500 lbs in weight, a 0.3 penalty is assessed.

— For every prop fielded, the corps loses 3 members (one each from Brass, Drums and CG.) You want the GE? Cool, do it with fewer performers.

— Corps are limited to one conductor and one CG captain. Knock off the 3 DM BS!

— Any extra brass instruments must be carried by the member playing it for the entire show. In addition, it cannot touch the ground or a 0.3 penalty is assessed.  Got a baritone doubling on trombone? Tough— carry it on a strap. Got a trumpet doubling on flugelhorn? Carry it on a strap like SCV’s lead sops did in the late 70s/early 80s. “But now they can’t dance or march safely!”  Yes, that IS a conundrum........

— Corps vehicle convoys are allowed only ** 5 ** self-propelled power units over 44,000 lbs GVWR or 80,000 lbs. GCWR, 3 of which must be busses.  SURPRISE!!! 😲

Edited by TRacer
More ranting
  • Haha 1