Menomonie, WI - Sunday, July 7, 2019

2 hours ago, jeffmolnar said:

Didn’t Gaines himself say that “drill was antiquated” (or something to that effect) just last year? I thought I read that somewhere. Could be hearsay I guess.

Ha! He did, actually. I was wondering if anyone would name him. But surely Gaines alone doesn't drive how drill is judged.

6 hours ago, zerosixthirty said:

Simon and Garfunkel must be receiving lots of royalties this decade with all the corps playing their songs each year. 

I dare say THE ACADEMY's version of BOTW is a Royalty that they got their money's worth. The solo (IMHO a good :30 Too long) and ballad is splendid. but the lack of action by the MM's is leaving a heck of a lot of  potential GE points on the field. and Estimated 2 minutes of nada gets you....nada!

• Thanks 1

Since I love all corps equally (but one more than the others), I thought I would comment on the venue instead.  What a great place to watch drum corps ... the weather was perfect, I felt like I was almost on the field (even from the top row), crowd was in to it, just a great night.  I liked having the souvenir  booths outside the fence with plenty of room.

And now for the downers (and they were minimal ... just feel like complaining this morning):

Staff - we know you have a job to do, but sitting on the steps, talking on speakerphones, talking to each other, standing up for every mello run is just a little much.  We paid good money for those seats and would like to see the shows as well.  Maybe the venues need a reserved staff area (like at Lucas)

Fans - it's 2019.  There are electronics, there are costumes, there are props - get over it.  When the Cadets have electronic issues, I don't want to hear, "well, if this were drum corps, this would not be happening".  Or calling a certain corps (one that I am partial toward ... but I love all corps equally) "hideous" because you don't like the color of their pants.

Venue - open a second gate.  It got pretty crowded trying to get in

All that being said, I hope they return ... because I know I will.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, BlueStarsDad said:

Since I love all corps equally (but one more than the others),

10 minutes ago, BlueStarsDad said:

Or calling a certain corps (one that I am partial toward ... but I love all corps equally)

I'm all in suspense because you haven't revealed which corps you are partial towards. :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, kkrepps said:

I'm all in suspense because you haven't revealed which corps you are partial towards. :unsure:

Who could it possibly be?

I enjoyed the show on the Flo last night. Looking forward to seeing all these corps develop some outstanding entertainment this year. 

7 hours ago, CorpsRelic said:

I dare say THE ACADEMY's version of BOTW is a Royalty that they got their money's worth. The solo (IMHO a good :30 Too long) and ballad is splendid. but the lack of action by the MM's is leaving a heck of a lot of  potential GE points on the field. and Estimated 2 minutes of nada gets you....nada!

Thanks, I’m glad someone said it. That arrangement sounds like a funeral dirge. Also, all those trombones at one point that add absolutely nothing. Academy has had some very engaging shows in the past but this one is a miss, imo. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Happened to flip on a local college radio show and find that they're playing all covers of Beatles songs tonight.

Hmm, I should reach out to them.

I did. Who knows, maybe they'll mention it on an upcoming show.

My goodness do the Bluecoats have a massive show.  Just outsized in every way - big and in your face musically, and moments happening all over the field visually.  Their pit alone stretches 30 yards!  It definitely "feels" like a championship show, especially when compared directly to Vanguard.  Right now, it just seems like a two-horse race which may yet reduce further once Bloo and BD meet up.

(And I totally dig Madison's show.  YPG on to the end is just a treat.)

Mike

(Oh, and Colts - holy cow are they good this year!)

• Like 3