Menomonie, WI - Sunday, July 7, 2019

Happened to flip on a local college radio show and find that they're playing all covers of Beatles songs tonight.

Hmm, I should reach out to them.

• Haha 1

I was a bit leery of SCV’s show coming into tonight, as I had only seen some clips. I think the show has some major legs. It started out slow for me but I was really digging it by the end. It’s going to be a beast come Finals.

however, for me, Bluecoats are my favorite show this year hands down. The production seems so well designed, and as someone else said, if you sit low in any stadium, this show is louddddd, but in a good way. 

It was a great night! I really liked every show, from Madison to SCV! 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, ajlemm said:

I was a bit leery of SCV’s show coming into tonight, as I had only seen some clips. I think the show has some major legs. It started out slow for me but I was really digging it by the end. It’s going to be a beast come Finals.

however, for me, Bluecoats are my favorite show this year hands down. The production seems so well designed, and as someone else said, if you sit low in any stadium, this show is louddddd, but in a good way. 

It was a great night! I really liked every show, from Madison to SCV! 

Agrees. There’s a lot of good shows this year and very diverse so you can enjoy each one without getting bored or start comparing them too much - like apples and oranges 

1 hour ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

As much as I would love for Weber to come back, yeah, the activity has sadly passed him by. Not to mention, corps with generally more drill-heavy shows this season such as Crown and Blue Stars aren’t getting huge numbers from the judges.

This appears to be true, but I'm going to take issue with the idea that "the activity" does anything on its own.

(I know *you* didn't mean that, and were just using a term of shorthand to make your point. No discredit to you for that.)

What I'm interested in is this: who exactly decided that drill of the type that Weber designs (or Gaines used to design) is no longer appropriate? Name some names, people.

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

I think SCV has a lot more room to grow compared to Blue Coats. 

Could be. I think there are plenty of moments where Bluecoats could add elements to deepen the show, if they wish. Right now they may not see the need, though.

20 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

There’s a lot of good shows this year and very diverse so you can enjoy each one without getting bored or start comparing them too much - like apples and oranges 

That's why core has a peel.

OK, if people wish me dead for that, I'll understand.

• Haha 4

just back from Menomonie - what a great first live show for 2019!! Truly a stacked line up at this show --

our seats were down low on the left side - a couple shows the speaker stack was directly in front of us which posed pros/cons --

it was also the first time I've gotten to experience the distraction of a generator right in front of me. SCV does a good job of putting a panel in front of theirs so you hardly hear it -

Blue Stars was smokey and loud and exposed - totally turned me off to their show --

Seats were too low to see much drill -

We were blasted good and proper by Xmen - thank you very much!

Bluecoats were the loudest of the night - crowd favorite - soloists were very enjoyable and engaging -

Vanguard is excellent - but their visual show is much too cluttered if you're watching up close - it's like being in a forest of tinker toys and pick up sticks - crap all over the place - can't see anything - terrifically talented soloists - but the music is not enjoyable - Oroboros was angry but had an achingly beautiful ballad - visually this show is a concrete jungle - what do the Vanguard have to be so angry about? They are among the most privileged people in the world - insanely talented - capable of so much beauty - why do they choose to examine such dark angry motifs? The world is an angry place right now - we need art to elevate, lift, brighten, cheer -- this is why Bluecoats is a better show -- Vanguard, as is their nature, too brooding and dark -- lighten up --

Madison was not as bad as reported they march and play well - there is too much dance in the hornline -

Colts are really good - massively stronger hornline than Madison - the closer is kind of dorky though...

Academy is so good in all sections - maddening that they are not performing a better show -- too cartoon-y - like Crown-lite

Crossmen really have stepped up and brought it - love the BAC-like story telling style - still has a Crossmen jazz vibe in the ballad, usual excellent Crossmen perc. Lock for top 12

Blue Stars have a very complicated, detailed show - strong in all sections but I was not sure where to go/where to look - really like the music - several sound feedback problems - not cool.

Cadets - such a disappointment - such excellence in all sections wrecked by the sound design - hate all the sound affects - stop it. STOP IT RIGHT NOW!!!

Bluecoats have perfected sound design - subtle - not obnox. sampling/drops/enhancements - we were too low to get a good read on the perc -

Vanguard see above

Crowd: packed house - generally pretty responsive crowd - supportive of every corps --

Weather was perfect -

Really hope this show is scheduled again next season!

49 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

This appears to be true, but I'm going to take issue with the idea that "the activity" does anything on its own.

(I know *you* didn't mean that, and were just using a term of shorthand to make your point. No discredit to you for that.)

What I'm interested in is this: who exactly decided that drill of the type that Weber designs (or Gaines used to design) is no longer appropriate? Name some names, people.

Didn’t Gaines himself say that “drill was antiquated” (or something to that effect) just last year? I thought I read that somewhere. Could be hearsay I guess.

6 hours ago, mrk said:

I find the water sample used during the first half of Bridge Over Troubled Water a bit awkward. Even moreso before an intermission than after....

######!!!  LMBO

• Haha 1